Altitude Guidelines for VFR flying into class C

arb65912

Altitude Guidelines for VFR flying into class C

Post by arb65912 »

Gentlemen,

I know it has been discussed before , I was trying to search for it but got tired ...lol,lol, too much information.

Would anybody be so kind and refresh my memory, I had a long brake from flying on PE ( not an excuse but ...), below is the short description.

I am flying VFR with Flight Following from the East level 5,500' heading toward POM VOR.

I am in contact with Socal Approach.

I know I will be shortly instructed to contact ONT Tower.

Look at the attached, let's say this is how I would like to enter the left downwind ( assuming I am cleared for it ) to ONT.

How exactly do I play that scenario altitude wise?

This is what I would do.

Turning toward Chino, I would start my descent to 2,700 so I stay above the Chino class D airspace ( -27 depicted on the chart)

I assume that it is OK to descend being in class C at this point since I am in contact with the ATC.

Now I am at 2,700' and I make a left turn to 004 heading to enter approximately 45 deg left downwind leg for ONT Rwy 26L.

Now the interesting and hard part for me.

I could not find TPA information on Skyvector but judging from airport elevation, it would be around 2,000'.

Do I start descending right after turning 004 heading or do I descend on downwind leg?

Sorry for asking what was probably answered before but I hope you are going to forgive me. :)

Cheers, AJ
KONT Pattern Entry.PNG
KONT Pattern Entry.PNG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2360 times
Keith Smith

Re: Altitude Guidelines for VFR flying into class C

Post by Keith Smith »

No need to enter on the 45 given the direction from which you're arriving. I think you're taking what you learned from the V-2 in trying to replicate that pattern entry. As you can see, there's no elegant way to enter on the 45 from POM.

After POM, you could continue southeast to join the freeway heading east, then enter the left downwind, remaining north of the CNO Delta. You would enter the downwind at ~ 2000MSL (since the field is ~1000 AGL).
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

OK, I think, I understand. I assume that my descending from 5,000' to 2,000' would happen flying from POM and following the highway until downwind for 26L. Thanks. Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You can descend anywhere you like as long as you're in communication with the authority for the airspace that you'll be flying through.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

All clear now. Thank you.