Planes flashing.

djrisc

Planes flashing.

Post by djrisc »

I just noticed that all other traffic in xplane "blinks" along with its lights. So the entire fuselage of the aircraft is blinking. Anyone else seeing this in xplane 10?

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Re: Planes flashing.

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, known issue in the xplane client when aircraft are stationary. It used to be that the server didn't send repeated information for aircraft once they were parked and not moving. Now we have the server sending out data about aircraft at a relatively high rate regardless of whether they're moving, and I suspect that's causing an issue with the interpolation code on the client. It should be a relatively easy fix when I can get to it.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Thanks Keith!
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my graphic settings.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Kieth, have you ever considered coding the app so that the closer to another craft you are, the higher the refresh rate. It's help on the ground and in formation flight. I've tried to join some of the fighters in formation but they are eratic when you get close. Or does it already do that?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We used to have dynamic update rates, but I scrapped them for a fixed rate (the high rate). The erratic movement you're seeing isn't a function of the data update rates. It's relatedt to timing within the per-frame interpolation code. It also appears to be machine dependent, too. The more powerful machines and vid cards don't exhibit the problem as much as the lower end machines and vid cards.

It's such a rare occasion that planes are flying so close, I haven't made it a priority to fix...I'm also not positive how to fix it yet (the other part of the problem).

If you go to the 44min 45sec mark on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkT3-IY3GI0 you'll see that at 550kts within a few plane lengths, things are working pretty well. It's only when you get super close that the erratic back and forth movement starts.

Edit: even better, the 51:30 mark.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

So you are saying that my box is a pos? :-)
Actually i just upgraded the main box to w7 since winxp was clueless on handling the duocore processor in the main box. New hard drive too (the old one was failing and likely contributed to the problem) i had so much stuff installed on that box that i am surprised it booted at all. I`ll try formation flight when i get the system back together. Still have to reconnect the two main boxes, install the 2nd set of pedals, and configure simavio. Mebbe double my ram too, since im running w7 now.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I doubt those steps will improve your processing or video speed, unfortunately. I used to run Win XP and it used the dual cores quite well, btw.