vfr flight plans getting lost

JN_

vfr flight plans getting lost

Post by JN_ »

Hi,

I only fly vfr. I normally fly without flight plans but have just recently started filing (nice web form!). However more often than not my flight plan is getting "lost". By that, I mean that (1) I'll file; (2) I'll refresh the pilotedge home page and see my name with a departure/destination airport (so far so good); (3) I'll log into PE, call up for flight following and perform my flight to completion and park; (4) I'll check PEAware, and check my last flight. The problem is that the flight route (the blue line) is not the route I filed, but a direct line from departure airport to destination airport.

Regards,
Jim
Keith Smith

Re: vfr flight plans getting lost

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Jim,

The controllers are altering the plan (which they can't see, since they don't get VFR flight plans). The plan THEY are entering doesn't contain a route. There isn't a whole lot we can do about that short of a fairly major architectural change...OR, you could re-file prior to logging off and then waiting until it's reflected on the site.
JN_

Post by JN_ »

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that I could file (or re-file) any time after I've been accepted for flight following, and before I log off, and the plan will be associated with the current flight? If so, that seems like an easy enough workaround.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's right. I'd be hesitant about doing it too early, though...if a controller makes any update to the strip, you're going to lose that routing info again. So, the later the better (ie, after landing at the destination). If it's any consolation, the same is true in the real world, with the exception that your VFR flight plan NEVER makes it to any flight tracking application.

Believe it or not, we have to go through great lengths to 'hide' VFR flight plan from the controller so they don't say it. We have many reasons for doing so, although I realize it makes post-flight tracking a bit tricky.