Headset volume

cvenable

Headset volume

Post by cvenable »

I've seen a couple of threads on this but no resolution, so hoping someone can help. I have a Mac running X-Plane with a Logitech wireless H800 headset. The volume of the PE controllers is very low. I have to mute all sounds, close the door to my room, and run my family out of the house to hear. I don't see any way to adjust the headset volume. I've tried every Mac and X-Plane volume setting I could find, but nothing adjusts the headset volume.

I've previously used a different (wired) headset and the results were similar. Any ideas would be appreciated. At this point, it's barely usable for me which is a shame because I do enjoy the service otherwise.

Thanks,
Chris
MikePeavler

Re: Headset volume

Post by MikePeavler »

What I've noticed is the volume will go down to nothing and is a pita to raise it after using it through Pilot Edge. It's almost like something takes control of the volume and leaves it a min. Next time your on, look at volume properties and see in fact if your's goes to the lowest setting. I log in and have to verify "in windows" that the volume is not at the lowest settings. When it is....it's a sturggle to get it back up to at least 50% so i can hear the gang. Once I finally get it to stay there....it's okay until I log back in. I'm not sure why ...but only is a function when playing on the sim....if I just leave it in windows....it stays where I put the slider.

M
cvenable

Post by cvenable »

Well, turns out it doesn't work properly when you have sound output set to internal speaker. You get sound through the headset but can't control the volume. So put all the sound through the headset and turn down the non-ATC sounds via X-Plane. Not quite as realistic, but at least I can hear.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

There is another thing I have noticed. It is nothing to be alarmed about but when the Controller starts talking ( I think it was Eugene few times) the voice volume is very low and then after couple seconds gets back to level set.
I wonder what is the cause of it because many times the beginning of the transmission is almost lost.
zachdecou

Post by zachdecou »

With a good headset in the real plane, much of the cockpit environment noise should be blocked out. I fly with all my X-Plane sound sliders at near zero with my headphone out set to max and have no issues. For what it's worth, I am actually using iPhone ear buds with the built in mic. It's pretty ghetto, but I get 5/5 tx and rx.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

I fly on a MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion and V9.7. I have a Dave Clark headset and use the Flight Sound X aviation headset/usb adaptor ( http://www.flightsounds.com/flightsoundx )

I set my sound output in System Preferences to my headphone jack on the MacBook Pro and sound input to be the Flight Sound X adaptor. This way, my engines and all other X-Plane sounds go to my external speakers. In the VSPro plugin I set the headset to the Flight Sound X adaptor. The only volume control I have are the volume knobs on my headset. Because my headset is noise canceling I don't really have a problem hearing PE ATC, but I have to agree that sometimes they are a bit hard to hear.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Juan B

Post by Juan B »

I'm on Mac as well and this works great for me:
Before starting xplane, go to system preferences, sound, output. Select there whichever one you need (for aircraft sounds. I've got it to external speakers) and set the volume to max.
Start xplane and you can now set the cockpit volume to whatever you want, atc comms through the selected headset on vspro will stay at the same level.

Hope this helps,
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Next time I fly on PE I will set my Mac volume to maximum and use the external speaker volume control to adjust the engine sound. Using the volume control on the MacBook Pro may be effecting the volume in my headset so this will test that theory. Thanks for making me think, Juan.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Gentlemen, thank you for the input but what I described is not what you responded to, read carefully.
When the Controller starts talking ( I think it was Eugene few times) the voice volume is very low and then after couple seconds gets back to level set.
I wonder what is the cause of it because many times the beginning of the transmission is almost lost.
It is like a initial suppression of the volume and then all goes back to normal.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There is one controller who's volume is fairly quiet when he transmits. I will remind him of this again. What you're hearing at the beginning is the 'natural' volume, followed 2 seconds later by the volume compensation that's built into the 3rd party audio library.