Server update: VFR flight plans

Keith Smith

Server update: VFR flight plans

Post by Keith Smith »

A while back, a change was made to the server in the made of realism. Pilot-filed VFR flight plans were no longer visible to ATC, much like the real world.

This had the unfortunate consequence, though, of ruining the ability of PEAware to track VFR flights where the pilot was in communication with ATC. This is because our controllers frequently create 'partial' strips, or strips with an origin/destination that might not match the pilot's intentions, particularly in cases where the intention is unknown (ie, "VFR to the west"). Since we don't have a concept of a strip existing separately from a flight plan (yet), ATC was unknowingly 'trampling' the VFR flight plan, which ruined the ability to track the flight.

Many users have mentioned this in the forum, via PM, email, and in 2 cases, a brick through my window with a thoughtful note attached.

With the advent of web-based filing, this problem has escalated even further. Lots of people are filing, flying VFR, working with ATC (all of which are good things), and many flights are being lost in PEaware.

Sooooo.....as much as it pains me, the right thing to do for now is make it so ATC sees the VFR flight plans that the pilots have filed, so they won't trample them.

If you call for "VFR as filed," or magically expect the controller to know where you're going when you call for a VFR departure....well, I have a couple of unused bricks and spare paper laying around.

In other words, to ensure your flights can be tracked, we'll permit ATC to see the strips, but operationally, they will be trained to treat them being invisible, at least until they have created a strip on your behalf.
Joris

Re: Server update: VFR flight plans

Post by Joris »

Much appreciated Keith. I'll make sure i don't get any bricks thrown through my virtual window :-)