Callsign advice

Ryan B

Re: Callsign advice

Post by Ryan B »

Looks neat (both the avionics and the G36)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Joris

Post by Joris »

I got a remark today from the controller on my call sign on a flight from F70 to KSNA. I use OO-APT for my Mooney 20J. He said it's not a valid callsign in the US but it is since I'm using a Belgian callsign.

Here's a Belgian Mooney 20J i'm flying with some virtual gas ;-)
http://www.westwings.be/ebkt/fotos/oo-urs.jpg

I'll change to a US call sign to make the PE controllers happy, found one : N201RA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You were absolutely fine with your first callsign. The controller probably wasn't aware that was a valid prefix for a Belgian aircraft. Feel free to swap to it, we don't mind international registrations here. The only thing we don't allow are purely fictitious non air carrier registrations.
Eugene Zaporozhets

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

Would it be possible to see a Belgium callsign fly in LA airspace in real world?
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Very rare, but not impossible - You don't re-register an aircraft just because you're flying through foreign airspace. In the Northwest I see C-xxxx Canadian aircraft all the time, and I've seen more than one XB-xxx (Mexico) in Socal.

Another example - what about a Jetairfly (Belgian subsidiary of TUI) airliner flying under its registration (which would be OO-xxx) instead of a scheduled service flight number?
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

I've used YUxyz on here for a period of time, mainly because I got bored of continuously trying to find a set of numbers and letters in a US registration that I liked. Now that my desktop PC, the one that runs X-Plane, is about to be redelivered after some repairs, I'm getting an itch to use it again :)

FWIF, it's actually not all that uncommon to have aircraft using US registrations as callsigns around Europe...and probably around other places too.
Eugene Zaporozhets

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Just as an update, I finally picked 3 real life registrations numbers for my BE33, JS32 and CRJ2 and will be using them from now on. I have to admit that it IS harder then using all the time the same callsign, at the times, I have a slight "delay" while reading back the shortened callsign at the end of the transmission but with the help of the sticker on the top of the yoke someone suggested in the past it is not THAT bad.

Eugene, is that your new avatar? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where did you find it? Looks Simpsonian... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

arb65912 wrote:Eugene, is that your new avatar? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where did you find it? Looks Simpsonian... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is Professor Farnsworth off of Futurama...sad that I should know that.
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG