What Aircraft Would You Brake For?

Calvin Waterbury

What Aircraft Would You Brake For?

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Every time I have seen a DC-3 in real-life I stopped what I was doing and watched the "Lady's" passing with 100% focus. I also love to watch an F-4 Phantom takeoff in a climbing and then roll back over when on course. One night I was parked at the truckstop just south of Dyess AFB (west of Abilene, TX) when the B-1s were doing night ops with full afterburners. What a sight!

So, what aircraft makes you pull over, turn on your 4-way flashers and enjoy your own personal airshow?
What aircraft do you BRAKE for?

Note: I have posted this same message in some other forums.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Daddy O

Re: What Aircraft Would You Brake For?

Post by Daddy O »

The Guppy. When the new one was flying touch and goes at DMAFB a year ago, you stopped to take notice.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

SR-71, F/A-18, F-4, B-1B, G4, G5, G650. Additionally, any airplane that I don't recognize.
Juan B

Post by Juan B »

The other day I had the chance to see the beluga (A300-600ST). Just had to stop and watch. Really impressive!
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

F4U Corsair - Sexiest aircraft of WWII IMO
F-4 - I'm still convinced it's the meanest looking fighter ever built.
V-22 Osprey - because they just look goofy?
DC-3 - Do I even need to say why?
Pitts Special - Because you know they will do something cool.
F-22 - My brother inlaw flies them (so yeah, I'm bias), ever since watching him do an unrestricted climb in one, while watching from the control tower I've thought they were amazing.
Cessna O-2 - ok, odd choice I know, but ask me how many times I've seen the movie "BAT-21" sometime.

I recently went to March AFB air museum here in SoCal. I got to take a super close look at an SR-71. That plane is an absolute amazing piece of engineering. (And way more massive than I thought.)

Btw if you live in SoCal, or come to visit, I highly recommend a visit: http://www.marchfield.org/

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Thanks for the heads up on the March museum. I'm in LA this weekend and might go check it out.

For other Blackbird fans, KPMD Palmdale (Plant 42) has a great little museum too, with an SR-71A, an A-12, an F117 and other cool stuff. It's called "Blackbird Airpark". Another good destination for anyone in SoCal.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Tucson has the B52 that dropped the X15 the most. The old Nasa b52, and an Xplane-the X107 I think.
Calvin Waterbury

[hint]
Feel free to proceed with this discussion as you see fit, but I did want to nudge it back toward the OP. Essentially, the question was if you were busy doing something, like driving, etc. and an aircraft flew over which made you pull off the road to watch it pass, what favorite aircraft would that have been?
[/hint]

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion....

Pssst!... this is a sneaky way of for me to consider other aircraft to fly in X-Plane. <vbg>
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Anything under 500' AGL........
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Calvin Waterbury

Steven Winslow wrote:Anything under 500' AGL........
Ha! You just reminded me of a bright yellow radial engine AgCat. It was many years ago on an early Saturday morning when I was awakened by a loud "VRRRRoooommm." I woke up my three boys and they piled into the back of our small blue Nissan pickup and we headed to the road I knew was north and adjacent to the field that was being dusted. We spent an hour being overflown and being awed by the skill the pilot demonstrated in his north/south passes. He and his aircraft bouncing in and out of the trees which jutted into the field from the west. My "boys" have grown now (29, 25 and 17 years), but I am confident if it was another early Saturday morning and we heard the characteristic, "VRRRRoooommm" there would be four men sitting in the back of a weathered-blue Nissan pickup watching a crop duster all over again! :D
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD