The Great 32-Bit to 64-Bit Migration (this scares me)

Calvin Waterbury

The Great 32-Bit to 64-Bit Migration (this scares me)

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Thanks to Keith, JN_ Mark H. and others, I have finally been convinced 64-bit is the wave of the future and I *will* have to migrate to, and adopt the new paradigm at some point, so might as well get it over with. I can also see that I have been keeping myself from running at the full potential my new hardware can provide. Besides, Dad has to stay at least one step ahead of his children, doesn't he? ;)

Here is what I understand. Please straighten me out if I'm off-base anywhere....
  • Keith, not to bury you in too many flowers, I respect your technical knowledge and try to emulate your choices. Your track record has been so consistent in my experience that every choice I have made contrary to your input in the last year or so I have reversed and followed your original advice. This might just sound like a bunch of puffery if it were not for the fact my flight sim experience improved with each adherence to your commentary. With this kind of track record and your present enthusiasm for X-Plane 10 (64-bit), what's a man to do? I suspect I will be ordering my copy of XP10 when finances allow.
  • No further development will be done on XP9.
  • I know I have to move to XP10.20(?) in order to enjoy the benefits of 64-bit because XP9.70 is only 32-bit.
I have been trying to distill the reasons for my hesitation at using 64-bit which is evidenced by the fact I have continued only purchasing 32-bit software. I think my primary (only?) hesitation is what will using 64-bit software do to my 32-bit usage? I still have to fly in FSX at times as well as FS2004 and I'm scared (yes, "scared" I'm being honest here) how I might "blow up" my computer if I just start using 64-bit without some kind of preparation. Do I need to repartition my drive and move all the other 32-bit stuff off the 64-bit partition?
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Pieces

Re: The Great 32-Bit to 64-Bit Migration (this scares me)

Post by Pieces »

You probably won't event notice. 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit platform with essentially no thought. FSX runs great on my PC which is entirely 64 bit (e.g. The operating system).
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Calvin, you'll be thrilled to know that you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. You're going to need a powerful computer to enjoy the benefits of xp10. On lower end hardware, though, I think xp9 actually looks better than 10 (my last PC was a great example).

FSX and XP9 care not a jot about having a 64-bit OS. 9.70 won't run into limitations because it was designed to fit into a 32-bit world. So, don't feel the pressure to move to 64-bit unless it's because you really want to move to XP10, AND you plan on running XP10 to the max.

XP10 has a huge memory footprint by comparison and NEEDS 64-bit support to crank it up to its maximum capability. The same is not true for all the other sims afaik.

It's true that there will eventually be advances for xp10 that will be hard to ignore, and then there'll be xp11, etc, but there is still amazing training value in xp9. I learned most of what I learned about flying with X-Plane 5.5 through 8.0. The flight model has always been lovely with XP.

Don't get me wrong, the eye candy in 10 is spectacular...as is the weather...but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. For the longest time, for example, I ignored all other developments in X-Plane (especially the early 3d cockpits) and flew the bejesus out of the Chandler 8.x Piper Warrior and Saratoga, all over the country. I could've spent hours trying new planes, new hardware configs, getting tiny incremental returns. Instead, I stayed the course and became a better and safer pilot by using my time to practice, practice, practice. Every few years I would do massive system upgrade and buy new hardware. My previous PC lasted me 5 1/2 years, with just one video card upgrade.

Enjoy the sim, become a great pilot, then when you can't stand to ignore the advances you see around you, pull the trigger and go big, that's my advice. If that time is now, great, do it...but I would avoid the trappings of CONSTANT changes and upgrades to the system and your configuration. You'll never get any "work" done, you'll simply always be tweaking and adjusting rather than using the system for its greatest benefit, which is learning to fly.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

A former coworker of mine had a great saying that I love to share:

"We need to make sure we don't spend more time setting up the Barbies than actually playing with them."

:D
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Calvin Waterbury

Whew! This is a load off my mind. I completely misunderstood the 32-bit/64-bit thing. Thank you all for alleviating my concerns. Since I knew my PC had 64-bit architecture, every time I installed new software I'd plug my ears and squint my eyes waiting for the "BOOM!" This probably makes some of you :geek: and :ugeek: chuckle, but for me it was no laughing matter. NOW, I can laugh right along with you! :lol: :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: (I love Mr. Green!)

Thanks to each of you for the help.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Calvin,

When it comes to topics like this, no need to stew...it's a very, very popular area of discussion, making it very easy to find lots of great material on the topic. I just typed "32-bit 64-bit" into google and the entire first page of answers was full of good, meaty stuff.
Calvin Waterbury

Keith Smith wrote:Calvin,

When it comes to topics like this, no need to stew...it's a very, very popular area of discussion, making it very easy to find lots of great material on the topic. I just typed "32-bit 64-bit" into google and the entire first page of answers was full of good, meaty stuff.
It never occurred to me to search Google for this. I'll try to remember that the next time I have a question, but I normally get side-tracked on Big G, which is why I don't use it much. The vast majority of my questions/threads come from being provoked by something someone says in a thread.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD