night pattern video

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Keith Smith

night pattern video

Post by Keith Smith »

I came very close to not posting this because I'm genuinely not happy with the video quality...but, this is not an official video, it's just a regular user submission :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9Q2vcusnU

My goal was to capture the beauty of XP10's ability to render Socal at night, but much of the detail was lost in the conversion from the 9GB/min uncompressed HD video to the 8-14mbps MP4 compressed version...well before it even made it to youtube (I shudder to think what happened to it there).

Please know there's a lot of subtle detail that isn't there...but at least SOME of it was captured. Here's what's missing, near as I can tell:
- the taxi light for some reason didn't make a dent in the compressed render. This is a shocker. There's a pretty big visual contrast between pitch black pavement and the one that was illuminated by the taxi light, I promise, but for some reason, the compressed render doesn't show it.

- the runway lights are were quite a bit brighter on final, although they truly are invisible when viewed from the side, as in real life.

Lastly, I'm using a beta of xplane that has a lot of additional art assets that were recently added to the system, but they don't yet have any night textures, so they're pretty much invisible.

Well, with all the caveats out of the way, enjoy :) Once they finish the night art assets, I will take another crack at the video.