PE Proselytizer Needs Backup Support

rgrazian

Re: PE Proselytizer Needs Backup Support

Post by rgrazian »

Hello All,

I’d like to share my opinion as the FNG to PE and Sims. I’m about a month or so in to this new (to me) and somewhat strange world of on-line flight sims. As mentioned in previous posts, I joined solely for the purpose of supplementing my Instrument training. First of all, the coverage area is near perfect. As Keith said, it provides almost any type of approach the heart desires, tricky class bravo, challenging terrain, and enough distance to make some long flights. As a real pilot, I intend on extending my flying all over the country visiting new and exciting places in GA planes. So not having the “local stuff” does not bother me a bit. Secondly, talking to the same controller in different sectors does not bother me either. The goal is to replicate the procedure of hand-offs. This is done exactly as in the real world. Learning the procedures to perfection in the sim environment will provide huge dividends in the real airplane. Frankly after only a couple months, it’s helped me out A LOT! Knowing the procedures flat allows more concentrating on flying. AVIATE, navigate, communicate… The “aviate” is first for a reason.

The biggest gap for me is the lack of other traffic. As a result, we don’t get the related pilot (and controller) work in dealing with real traffic. Only on a couple occasions have I been asked to “hold short, landing traffic…” or “Lance 169BW, extend downwind, Piper cub on 3 mile final”. This happens all the time at busy towered airports. It can also get really busy at some non-towered airports. Sometimes it’s hard to get on the radio with a departure controller because it’s so busy. Just listen to Van Nuys tower or Addison (Texas) on LiveATC.net. Solution…. Get more people on PE! The benefits would be enormous for us as users and for Keith as a business owner/operator solidifying the future of PE. I’m a huge fan and de facto sales person. Rock on PE, let’s get more users!
Rob G.
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Keith Smith wrote:...I don't believe it's the right solution for PilotEdge....
Fair enough. Keep in mind you have knowledge and I am left with guessing (which is as it should be), so I'm probably going to stumble from time to time. At least you know what this PE member is thinking.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Calvin Waterbury

Keith Smith wrote:I'm detecting a theme of restlessness where solutions are being proposed, with an underlying assumption that the network will continue to operate as it is indefinitely.
Yes, you are detecting "restlessness," but it is the restlessness of one who can no longer do what he did a month ago and the frustration of one who, for the last three times on PE just sat staring at the panel and didn't even move his plane! :oops:
The state of the network right now is not what the network will look like in the future. The number of controllers and concurrent aircraft will be significantly higher. This is why you don't see me jumping at technical solutions to these short term issues. I want to focus my energy on getting to that state.
And so you should. Frankly, I don't know why I keep busting your chops about making PE more real. I can't handle it at its present state. I don't know what I'm going to do when all the things you have working in the background comes to fruition? I'm not sure I will try. Regardless, I don't want to turn this into an "Oh, woe is me," but it may be a possibility my day has come and gone? In re-reading my threads and the responses I'm "getting a clue" my threads/questions/comments seem to be missing the mark. Perhaps I'll try a different tack.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

rgrazian wrote:...The biggest gap for me is the lack of other traffic. ...
Hi Rob. I hear what you're saying on this, but I think that PilotEdge has preempted (and mitigated) the concern by recommending different "Focus Fields" for just about every night night of the week. Whenever I jump on the network, I always look to see what's going on at those fields. Unfortunately though, there isn't always a lot of activity there. Perhaps this is because people have their own flights pre-planned before they log on?? So perhaps it behooves all of us to make more of an effort to include those fields in our plans. In fact, I think I'll try to do that myself a little more often now.

(failing that, there's usually a handful of Fly-Ins in the planning stage for any given week...)
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Calvin Waterbury

Cyrus wrote:...
So perhaps it behooves all of us to make more of an effort to include those fields in our plans. In fact, I think I'll try to do that myself a little more often now.
Ha! I actually used to do this. I don't know where I got off track? Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll see you there! :)
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
rgrazian

Post by rgrazian »

Hi Cyrus,

I do try and head to a focus field but my timing is often a little off (or nobody is there). The fly-ins are a great idea, I'm going to try my first one tonight.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob G.
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Cyrus wrote:
rgrazian wrote:...The biggest gap for me is the lack of other traffic. ...
Hi Rob. I hear what you're saying on this, but I think that PilotEdge has preempted (and mitigated) the concern by recommending different "Focus Fields" for just about every night night of the week. Whenever I jump on the network, I always look to see what's going on at those fields. Unfortunately though, there isn't always a lot of activity there. Perhaps this is because people have their own flights pre-planned before they log on?? So perhaps it behooves all of us to make more of an effort to include those fields in our plans. In fact, I think I'll try to do that myself a little more often now.

(failing that, there's usually a handful of Fly-Ins in the planning stage for any given week...)
A little off topic... but I rarely read the focus fields and rely more upon the PE Live View Map... and then I see where people are flying, and I try to make a conflict for the controller :twisted:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Kieth posted: "It's better training, I argued, to put them in an unfamiliar environment where NOTHING is known ahead of time. Why? Because it will better prepare them for the day they actually fly somewhere NEW with their instrument rating."

That is so true.
Calvin Waterbury

Daddy O wrote:Kieth posted: "It's better training, I argued, to put them in an unfamiliar environment where NOTHING is known ahead of time. Why? Because it will better prepare them for the day they actually fly somewhere NEW with their instrument rating."

That is so true.
Hence the reason for the Focus Fields. They tend to be flights folks are not too familiar with and paired with airports most folks never go. One caveat to flying them is the "Law of Diminishing Return" will eventually rise as the pilot begins to get familiar with all the different airports. But, there is a boat-load of training value before one ever gets near critical mass.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD