ATC scope video

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Keith Smith

ATC scope video

Post by Keith Smith »

20 mins of unedited controlling at SBA with a few in the pattern on 15R.

Most interesting part is probably making room for the IFR departure (Reece doing his I-10) from rwy 25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYuUefv2MjQ

(suggest full screen high def). Sorry the audio is a little unbalanced. Every now and then you hear me seemingly talking to myself. That's actually coordination with the radar controller for IFR departures or VFR flight following, or acknowledging arrival notifications from him.
Pieces

Re: ATC scope video

Post by Pieces »

My positioning probably didn't help. The scenery I'm using for SBA is a little wonky. The ground textures are floating above the lighting objects, so the lighting appears to move in relation to the textures. Especially weird at night.

Anyway, the point being I wasn't exactly sure where the runway met the taxiway at 25. Got off the ground though, and didn't hit anything :).
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Aleks. L.

Post by Aleks. L. »

Hey Keith!

Thanks for yesterday, we really had a blast. Glad you enjoyed it aswell. ;)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Some additional background on this video (this info was prepared for a commercial prospect, but I figured I may as well include here since the work was done!)
1:15 "Lindbergh" - 1:21 "KS": combined radar controller was advising me of an inbound aircraft for KSAN. Due to my audio configuration, you only hear me responding to the controller, but it went something along the lines of:

West: "Lindbergh, West" ("West" is the name of the approach sector handling the arrival)

Me: "Lindbergh."

West: "VFR inbound 5 northwest, N1125Y planning runway 27."

Me: "KS" (my operating initials)

That is basically a courtesy call from TRACON to let me know someone's coming my way.

At 3:10, aircraft with callsign "ZS2" overflies SBA from east to west. That's one of our 300+ VFR drones that's squawking VFR and not talking to anyone, operating in and out of non-towered airports. These are designed to create traffic conflicts with live traffic, they operate in Class E/G airspace only.

At 11:52 - 12:04, obtaining the IFR release for N2477B from SBA with the overlying approaching controller.

At 12:36 12:53 - obtaining release for N169BW out of Bakersfield.

At 13:40 - asking IFR departure if he'll need long for run up so I can make a hole for his departure.

At 13:50, the happy little party of 2 C208's and a King Air doing pattern work on 15R is disrupted when I have to make room for an IFR departure from runway 25. I extend the downwind of one aircraft and extend the upwind of nother aircraft (eventually swapping that aircraft to left traffic). After launching the departure, I then have to get things back into shape (short approach for the guy making left traffic and slightly extended downwind for the guy making right traffic).