Workshop 3* "Companion" Videos

announcements, discussions and recordings of PilotEdge real-time workshops
Mark Hargrove

Workshop 3* "Companion" Videos

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Since we didn't get a recording of the third workshop on VFR flights between Class Delta airports, I made two "companion" videos of the two flights that Keith planned for us during the workshop. Each video re-creates the planning (although not exactly as covered in the workshop), and then shows execution of the actual flight. There are, undoubtedly, errors in both of the videos. If anybody who watches them spots anything egregious, please let me know and I'll fix it and re-upload them.

KMYF-KRNM in a Cessna 172 Skylane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBa-If07kV0

KCRQ-KTOA in a Cessna 337 Skymaster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzUapJII6M

-M.

*The numbering of the workshops is a little messed up. The third workshop (which I called "workshop 3" when I made and titled the videos)" was part 2 of the "All About VFR!" trilogy. Somehow we ended up calling the fourth workshop "Workshop 3" -- and it was was workshop 3 of the VFR series, but workshop 4 by count. If you followed all that you now have the same headache I had when I was trying to sort this out!
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Re: Workshop 3* "Companion" Videos

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark has worked tirelessly to help me out with the workshops, and I'm very grateful. I'm glad you posted these, Mark, as I'm traveling after a wicked couple of weeks leading up to the trip. I haven't had a chance to watch these yet, but I will when I can and will very likely add these to the core content of that workshop.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Nice job on these. It's great to see the concepts from the workshops put into action.

I have to apologize for making you go around at the end of video 2 though. That's me holding you up at KTOA. X-Plane was all but frozen just as I on was short final and was barely moving when you asked if "traffic ahead is clear of the runway". I was as frustrated as you were - that was the end of a rather long flight.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I wondered how somebody managed to get C-172 to fly that slow!

It was no problem, really. It actually made me chuckle a bit. This was my third time making this flight for the video. The first time FSX crashed on me about half-way through the flight. The second time the METARs updated around the time I passed John Wayne airport and I found myself in IMC conditions from one second to the next, and then the wind shifted 180 degrees while I was over the Long Beach harbor. The third time I was 99.5% done when the go-around happened. I was starting to wonder if the flight was jinxed!

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark, I got a chance to watch most of the first one tonight, it's very good. I'd like to get them uploaded to the PE YT channel at some point, but we'll tackle that another time. The second video's title says KCRQ to KMYF rather than TOA, otherwise, I assume it's good to go :)

I'll embed them on that workshop page.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Mark, excellent job, I watched the first video and I loved, you are very dedicated and talented. Thank you. Cheers, AJ
Last edited by arb65912 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Keith Smith wrote:The second video's title says KCRQ to KMYF rather than TOA
Fixed!

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
breadwild

Post by breadwild »

Mark,

The Palomar tower approved a frequency change for you at the 40:30 mark in the KCRQ-KTOA video. How did he know you wanted the change? It's been my experience as a pilot both in the air and here on PE, that a tower controller will basically just ignore you as you fly out of the Delta. I can understand him/her knowing if you requested flight following on with ground or the tower, but I didn't hear that in this video (I went back and listened a couple of times).

What am I missing?

Brad

P.S. BTW, really like your videos—very thorough. I'd like to see you plan a trip from Palmdale to Lone Pine :lol:
YouTube Channel (X-Plane)
X-Plane Tools (.fms generators)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Brad,

"frequency change approved" will sometimes be used by ATC, unprompted, if there's no conflicting traffic in the Delta, well before you reach the boundary of the Delta, regardless of whether you've request FF or not.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Palmdale to Lone pine, eh? I could do that....
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO