San Diego, Low and Slow

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Nick Warren

San Diego, Low and Slow

Post by Nick Warren »

San Diego low and slow, class bravo/delta transitions - Flown offline for orientation

Off Montgomery:

South of Ocean Beach Pier 500ft - Offshore transition

Point Loma lighthouse 800ft

Up the channel, North Island NAS - Bay transition

Over the Coronado Bridge, San Diego cityscape 1500ft

Over Lindbergh - Taxiway Delta transition 1500ft

Exit the Bravo to the north, then back over to Montgomery.

How it's done:
Offshore transition - Call Lindbergh tower 1 mile north of Crystal Pier (Pacific Beach). Tower will clear you at or below 500 feet. Report 1-2 miles south of Ocean Beach Pier.

Bay Transition - Call North Island tower south off Ocean Beach Pier. Tower will clear you through the harbor. Don't overfly naval ships. Tower will hand you back to Lindbergh tower at Coronado bridge.

Delta Transition over Lindbergh - Call Lindbergh tower south of Coronado bridge. Tower will clear you to fly over delta taxiway direct to Mission bay VOR at 1500 MSL. Expect frequency change at Mission Bay VOR.

Real world video clip with comms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDPNdoOsE8

Nick
Keith Smith

Re: San Diego, Low and Slow

Post by Keith Smith »

thanks for the info, Nick, since you were able to collect such specific data, we might be able to incorporate these without too much work. I'll run it by Ops to find out.
Greg Pfeil

Post by Greg Pfeil »

Great screenshots what scenery is that?
Nick Warren

Post by Nick Warren »

Greg Pfeil wrote:Great screenshots what scenery is that?
Thanks Greg. FSX Scenery is:
Megasceneryx X SoCal
Scenic Utopia San Diego Buildings - Payware
KSAN photorealistic freeware scenery by Glenn Johnson.

Haven't pulled the trigger on LatinVFR's package yet. It's a bit pricy IMO for just an airport.

Nick
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Oh boy, you don't buy many airports do you?

It's shockingly cheap for an airport. Don't ever go to FSDreamTeam and buy LAX or LAS... the price is much more than LatinVFR.

Anyway I'd recommend Latin VFR's rendition. It feels really good!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
bruce

Post by bruce »

VERY nice Love KSAN area. Any mega frame hit with the added payware buildins?
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

WOW. Gorgeous scenery. Jealous big-time over what you FSX guys get to look at out the window.

The r/w video is great too. I might try to attempt that same flight next time I'm on the network.
Nick Warren

Post by Nick Warren »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to some of you. I haven't been on the computer much in the past few days. Bruce, unfortunately the "Scenic Utopia" buildings which are shown in the screenshot causes a HUGE performance hit. I've sadly had to disable the scenery because after whatever tests and tweaks I could muster, I still couldn't get decent performance out of the package. It's very unfortunate because it truly is a nice package. In that regard, I'm happy I didn't pay too much for it. Ryan, I don't have a problem buying airports and in lieu of the above stated, it may prompt me to go get the LatinVFR package just to capture a bit more of San Diego that would perform better than the buildings package. I have FSDT Vegas so yes I know the cost of airports can be pricy all around. I rarely, if ever anymore, fly heavy metal around, so i try to lend more towards airport packages that encompass GA. That is a rarity amongst scenery designers. I can certainly see flying some twins or light jets into SAN, so that may be the ticket. In any event, I love the area so I will be flying it often.

Nick