Transfer key mappings from one xplane version to another?

djrisc

Transfer key mappings from one xplane version to another?

Post by djrisc »

Hey all,
So I have 10.20 installed, but I haven't started really using it. I use a ton of external controls now and so I have a ridiculous amount of custom keyboard mappings setup in my release version of xplane.

Is there any simple way of transferring these, so I don't have to spend an hour doing it manually? We're talking 30+ custom mappings. :(

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
kullery

Re: Transfer key mappings from one xplane version to another

Post by kullery »

Edit the X-Plane Keys.prf file (located in Outut/Preferences directory) using any standard text editor. Of course, make a back up copy before you make any changes to the file. Your new assignments will work the next time you load X-plane. Take a few minutes to become familiar with the new camera control key assignments before you decide which assignments you want to change. This file will address the generic key assignments, however it is my understanding that aircraft specific assignments are now possible but I haven't had any reason to explore that yet.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Brett, I just copy the whole preferences folder to new installation of X-plane ( located at C:\X-Plane 10-20 Beta\Output on my PC). In the past when I had to update things etc., it drove me nuts to redo everything from scratch.

I guess, that you are aware about assigning 3D cockpit views to keys as Kenny mentioned above which gets saved with the aircraft, very nice feature, I would say a must for 3D cockpit in X-Plane. Good luck and have lots of fun. Cheers, AJ
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I just re-map 'em all. Makes sure theya re all working right. But a real PITA. Fortunately the Saitek panels are handled by the plugin.