Military Operating Area

dc8flightdeck

Military Operating Area

Post by dc8flightdeck »

I am planning some Red Flag jet fighter flights from Nellis AFB to the military restricted areas and MOAs and have some questions.

1. Should I file a flight plan?
2. Do I contact a controller to ask to enter an MOA or do I just continue to advise on the Nellis Tower frequncy?
3.Since Nellis is considered a Unicom tower airport by PE, If I stay under 5000 ft between the base and the range do I have to contact Las Vegas Approach?

I finally worked out my mike problem with the sim and am now ready for some test flights :) In the next couple of weeks we will have some flights of two.

Thanks,
Justin
dc8flightdeck

Re: Military Operating Area

Post by dc8flightdeck »

I made a test flight from Nellis AFB to the Desert MOA. I simply asked LA Center for flight following to the MOA via the Mormon VOR and the whole flight went well. It certainly added to the realism of the simulator.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good to hear, sorry I missed your earlier post on this, I'm not sure how I did. I'll ask someone to get back to you on that just to close the loop. I'm swamped.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

To answer some of the questions posed here:

1. You don't need to file a flight plan for a VFR flight. For an IFR flight you will need a flight plan. The fact that you are flying in a fighter jet doesn't directly change this.
2. Officially we don't control MOAs here at PilotEdge, however we won't mind if you let us know.
3. To operate in Class B airspace you must have a clearance, as a result you should contact Las Vegas Approach (actually Nellis Approach in that area) to get a clearance to operate in the Class B airspace. This should be done before takeoff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

will there be a controller on the Nellis approach frequency? I thought it is operating as a Unicom airport as far as PE is concerned.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The airport is considered non-towered...but all the approach freqs will work. KVGT uses Nellis during some of its procedures, in fact. It's the same thing with Pt Magu (KNTD), non towered for us, but Magu Approach gets used every day on the network.
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

Thanks! Good to know.