Trouble picking up ATC

Donovan

Trouble picking up ATC

Post by Donovan »

Hi. I'm new to PE, and am having trouble picking up any ATC audio. Tried a number of times the suggested first flight from L52 to KSBP. Squawkbox appears to be fine, and the Tx light lights up on the PTT, but when I tune KSBP Tower to make contact there is no response. I just used the frequency as a CTAF and landed, and got the heck outta Dodge... This happened several times last night, 'till I threw my hands up in frustration -- actually I figured that it was "after hours" for San Luis, but tried it this morning and the same thing.

I've successfully ensured that the headset is the default recording device and recorded 'loud and clear', and have no problems when on TeamSpeak in the past, but I'm stumped. Have a fairly top of the line headset with a great quality mic, but its plugged directly into the sound card so I hear engine, cockpit, etc in the headset -- perhaps its drowning out ATC? I hit the Q button, but still no ATC.

Heck, I've been one of those 'scared to comm to ATC' pilots hence I KNEW PE was exactly what I needed to gain confidence, but I'm unsure what I have mis-configured. After reading the forums, I decided to purchase a Headset USB Adapter, and configure the engine/cockpit through the speakers, and the PE Client/SB through the headset. Have yet to try it and work late into the evenings, but hopefully can give that a shot tonight, or first thing in the morning.

Any suggestions that I should double check before my next attempt???

Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: Trouble picking up ATC

Post by Keith Smith »

What was your callsign and what times were you connecting to the network yesterday and today?

I can help you debug it if you want to PM me with your availbility.

Keith
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Thanks for the quick reply. N76DT as I recall (I'm at work now, not in front of the sim). Tried last night several times about 8 pm PDT through 9 pm. This morning 9am PDT. Perhaps the USB adapter will improve the scene?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Just to update... I did pick up the USB Adapter for my headset, which makes the setup easier, for engines on the speakers and PE/SB in the headset. I also reviewed the exceptions in my firewall, and added some ports and files to the exceptions which seems to have done the trick. Did a quick com check last night at KSNA just before services closed, and it was music to my ears to hear ATC, and be able to respond... Even though it was too late to fly with ATC.

My plane appeared on the PE Receiver Map so I'm tickled pink that so far so good.

Now to get over my ATC jitters when flying..... <smile>
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hey there, glad it worked out. I believe we should 2 mins before closing time last night.

hope to see you flying soon. If you have any procedural questions, fire away, there are lots of people who can help out.

the more you fly, the easier it gets.