What do our aircraft look like to others online?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
twharrell

What do our aircraft look like to others online?

Post by twharrell »

Keith, I know you explained this to me when you helped me set up Pilot Edge on my computer, but I need it explained again....

How to other Pilot Edge users see me online? I know there is an aircraft file in the Pilot Edge folder. Does that have anything to do with it?

Let me put it differently. I usually fly the Cessna 310. How do other users see my aircraft online. Do they see a Cessna 310 or do they see something else? If someone flies a JD41 or a Beechjet, what would those look like to me?

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Re: What do our aircraft look like to others online?

Post by Keith Smith »

The pilot client takes information about nearby aircraft (their ICAO codes) and tells the sim to create AI aircraft representing each of those planes. The aircraft that it selects is based on the mapping files that are included in the pilot client. The process is quite different between xplane and FSX, but for FSX, it uses aircraft that ship with FSX along with additional aircraft that we include in the pilot client. The mapping files are contained in the 'aircraft' folder within the PE client.

In addition to the one to one mappings that are present in that aircraft folder, there's a grouping and fallback system that allows it to pick the 'closest' aircraft based on known relationships between planes, as well as a large generic database of aircraft sizes, engine types and number of engines.
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

So, I added an AI Citation Mustang and also edited my PE aircraft file by adding the AI mustang, following the format of the other aircraft included. For type I entered C510. But when PE is launched it says C510 type not recognized. Can that type be added so it will be recognized?

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The FSX client does additional verification against the master list of known ICAO codes (found in the equipment.txt file in the PE root directory). Try C500 or C501.
CrazierChief

Post by CrazierChief »

and how does this work in xplane, im flying a piper Arrow III and looks to others like a c172, when im flying my Dornier 228 i look like a b58 or king air, i want my plane to look like the airplane im using on pilotedge, this is making me not sure if i want to stay on PE, for me its that important.i dont like that if there is 2 pipers, 1 eclips, and 2 cessnas they all look like cessnas, its not easy to determine what airplane is talking, is the Cessna i see in front of me the piper i just heard om atc. PLZ HELP if this already is possible
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

CrazierChief wrote:and how does this work in xplane, im flying a piper Arrow III and looks to others like a c172, when im flying my Dornier 228 i look like a b58 or king air, i want my plane to look like the airplane im using on pilotedge, this is making me not sure if i want to stay on PE, for me its that important.i dont like that if there is 2 pipers, 1 eclips, and 2 cessnas they all look like cessnas, its not easy to determine what airplane is talking, is the Cessna i see in front of me the piper i just heard om atc. PLZ HELP if this already is possible
In X plane you need to have the CSLs installed for the aircraft that you'd like to see. Others also have to have the CSLs of your aircraft installed in order to see you accurately. These models (CSLs) are NOT preloaded when the simulator is started. Instead, they are loaded on demand as the aircraft are encountered in real time. Not every aircraft is currently modeled, but the ones that are are fantastic.

https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/download-hd-csl
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

CrazierChief wrote:and how does this work in xplane, im flying a piper Arrow III and looks to others like a c172, when im flying my Dornier 228 i look like a b58 or king air, i want my plane to look like the airplane im using on pilotedge, this is making me not sure if i want to stay on PE, for me its that important.i dont like that if there is 2 pipers, 1 eclips, and 2 cessnas they all look like cessnas, its not easy to determine what airplane is talking, is the Cessna i see in front of me the piper i just heard om atc. PLZ HELP if this already is possible
You should download all of the available visual models (several GB worth, that's why we don't ship with them as standard). The Eclipse is indeed modeled, you just have to have it downloaded.

Take the time to look through the visual model list that's available between the modified Bluebell CSL package (which contains a huge list of aircraft) and the individual high def models.