Class D airspace around a non towered airport?

Hayden Young

Class D airspace around a non towered airport?

Post by Hayden Young »

I just happened upon this on a sectional.

VUO is inside class D airspace, in fact it is the only airport in the airspace, but it doesn't have a tower. What is the reason behind this, and who would you establish 2-way with to enter it?

The notes on AirNav include this: "ARRIVALS CONTACT PEARSON ADVISORY ON 119.0 PRIOR TO ENTERING CLASS D AIRSPACE FOR TRAFFIC AND WAKE TURBULENCE ADVISORIES, DEPARTURES CONTACT PEARSON ADVISORY ON 119.0 PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

CLASS D VFR ADVSY SVC FREQ 119.0."

Thanks ahead of time for any information! :D
FAA CFI-A CFI-I AGI IGI - KLEX
N24339 - C172 -First Flight
N33SY - DA40 - RW Favorite Ship
N754PE - PA24 - FSE
N872PE - C182 - FSE
N479PE - C182 - FSE
VATSIM I3
PE I-11
Nick Warren

Re: Class D airspace around a non towered airport?

Post by Nick Warren »

Looks like a hot mess there, but from what I understand pilots must contact PDX on 119.0 prior to airspace entry or departure. I'm not sure if they then have to switch to unicom and self announce after that or not. At one point they did have a functioning tower, but it has since closed.

Here is an informational sheet from AOPA:

Here is a message forum that has a lot of posts about VUO and the nuances of it:
http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/i ... oard=140.0
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I thought I'd seen it all when I came across towered airports that were class G. but, this is a first, class d with no tower...

reading through the discussions in that forum, the whole history is laid out.

it used to be that you would contact pdx tower to enter the delta, then receive freq change to the ctaf, but then they installed a temporary tower during rwy construction at pdx. later still, they closed the temp tower but left the ctaf as 119.00.

the reason this all exists odd because of tcas RA's being generated by aircraft in the pattern at VUP for the jets at PDX, even when everyone is doing the right thing. so, they have a delta there to hold vuo deps and arrivals if needed.

it all makes sense after a lot of reading, but was confusing at first sight, no question. nice find!
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Very interesting find. The Class D airspace has an unusual shape too.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Hayden Young

Post by Hayden Young »

It sounds like it's sorta like DTS. That's what I assumed from the start, but DST has the AFB up there that obviously controls the airspace, this one is not so obvious. Very interesting airport! Thanks for the help!! :lol:
FAA CFI-A CFI-I AGI IGI - KLEX
N24339 - C172 -First Flight
N33SY - DA40 - RW Favorite Ship
N754PE - PA24 - FSE
N872PE - C182 - FSE
N479PE - C182 - FSE
VATSIM I3
PE I-11
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Pearson was my home field for awhile when I lived in Vancouver. It's a great little field that used to have an excellent on-field museum (that has been, unfortunately, gutted of most of its collection).

The temporary tower was an interesting sight. Basically just a little hut on a trailer.

Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
bdeweese

Post by bdeweese »

Just ran across this almost 5 year old post - and promted this question: Does PE KPDX ATC provide advisories for departures/arrivals for KVUO (Pearson) - just like in RL? I live in Vancouver and am contemplating adding the Western Expansion to my subscription. Thanks!!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

bdeweese wrote:Just ran across this almost 5 year old post - and promted this question: Does PE KPDX ATC provide advisories for departures/arrivals for KVUO (Pearson) - just like in RL? I live in Vancouver and am contemplating adding the Western Expansion to my subscription. Thanks!!
Negative, we're not familiar with the VFR procedures or phraseology that they use there.
bdeweese

Post by bdeweese »

Ok thanks Keith! If you ever consider adding coverage, KVUO is a very interesting airport for practicing. It lies within/under Portland’s Charlie airspace. Pilots communicate their departures and arrivals with a controller who actually resides just across the river at KPDX. The rest of the time they’re self announcing on the same frequency as CTAF.

ORBX has also developed terrific scenery for this airport including the I5 bridge, downtown Vancouver and surrounding landmarks. It makes for a very realistic experience, especially for those of us familiar with the area.

I would encourage anyone who flies in the Western US to check out the ORBX scenery for KVUO - the oldest of airports in the West!

For anyone interested - here’s some additional info for KVUO:

Pilot communications procedure for Pearson (KVUO)

All communications at Pearson Airport are conducted on 119.0

The Pearson Advisory is a FAA Controller at the Portland Tower who provides “Advisory Services” to users of Pearson Airfield. Prior to arriving or departing the airspace which is shaped like a pie wedge simple establish two way radio communication with the Advisory. You can expect to hear from the Advisory something like”

“Aircraft xxxxx, Pearson Advisory, maintain outside Portland’s Class Charlie Airspace and use caution for overflying aircraft from Portland. Make all your CTAF calls on this frequency.”

Then, simply make all your normal CTAF calls.

The traffic pattern surrounding Pearson is all on the north side of the airport. At no time should there be operations over the Columbia River.

For further details please see the FAA’s Letter to Airmen on Pearson’s Advisory Area.

Helpful Pearson and PDX information:
Portland Tower Pearson Advisories
Frequency: 119.0
Flight Following from Portland Approach

North of PDX frequency: 124.35
South of PDX frequency: 118.10
Flight Following from Portland Tower

North Bank frequency: 118.70
Midfield frequencies: 118.70, then 123.77
Weather Information:
VUO ASOS frequency: 135.12

Phone: (360) 696-1280