[Oct 25, 8am PDT] KSFO - KGCN - charter

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Kim Ellis

[Oct 25, 8am PDT] KSFO - KGCN - charter

Post by Kim Ellis »

Tomorrow morning shortly after PE opening, my time [AEST 0100 Saturday 26th October], your? time [SOCAL 0800 Friday 25th October], a charter flight from KSFO down to KGCN. The flight plan is KSFO PORTE5.CZQ BIH LIDAT J92 BTY LAS PGS BISOP KGCN. It's a non-standard FP, made from KSFO - KLAS and KLAS - KGCN, being concatenated. The views are superb, especially coastal to desert transition, and of course waving good bye to Las Vegas is always sad. We usually depart KSFO 28L or 01L depending on whim prevailing (pun intended), and try to sneek into KGCN on BISOP and 03, noting the SAVRE transition, although be prepared for anything based on past experience.
Steven Winslow

Re: KSFO - KGCN - charter

Post by Steven Winslow »

Which aircraft will you be flying, Kim? This sounds like fun. My wife is out of town for the weekend so I plan on getting in some PE time!!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Re: [Oct 25, 8am PDT] KSFO - KGCN - charter

Post by Keith Smith »

Kim, I edited the thread title to have the local date/time to make life easier for people who skim the topics in this forum. Events without dates in the title are problematic. See the 'how this works' announcement in this same forum.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Dangit! I thought Kim was referring to tomorrow, er, Saturday, not THIS morning. Oh well.....next time.....

Thanks for the clarification, Keith.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, the perils of the international dateline. This is why it better to just refer to absolute date and times, not relative statements such as "tomorrow" when planning such flights.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Ok, here we go again, second attempt at a reply, we'll see if the system can throw this one away, they get smaller :)

Sorry Steven for the datetime problem, but I am in your future and upside down, and yes still speak with an aussie drawl.

I flew my beloved pmdg 744 this/yesterday morning, but will also do pmdg 737NGX or pmdg 777. And if significantly bribed, the ATR72.

Any time you want to fly a weirdo fp, i'm your accomplice. I did the goldn6 into sfo the other morning, and although i don't think he realized it, the PE ATC managed to replicate the recognition retirement flight of Lufthansa's chief pilot on his landing into sfo in the A380, complete with the 11,000' flyover of the golden gate, and the bay bridge 360 whip around back onto final while falling like a brick from 11,000'. I have the DVD of the flight, so once off PE I went and watched it again to check we really had got it right.

This morning was just me and one very lonely controller who was nice enough to let me have my way with the 03 into Canyon.

Open to suggestions for my next one Sat 26th Oct 0800 PDT {hope i got it right Keith} (my time Sun 27th Oct 0100 AEST, still in your future and still upside down), where is that pommy Bruce when you need him. Or could always just go have sleep :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kim, you got the format right, may as well not post the AEST time (just a thought). I'd also consider starting another thread for each flight, more people are likely to see it. Right now, someone might skim the post thinking you're just discussing a past flight, based on the title of the post.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Bit busy plotting & planning in N Africa at the moment, currently in Algeria & not too sure if I am in safe hands or not http://digitalthemepark.blogspot.co.uk/ ... anean.html

A thought on the time issue what with daylight saving time etc etc it can & does get quite confusing. Isn't that why we have UTC? I think posting in both PDT & UTC would cover all bases. Heck, even the guys downunder in the OZx Flying Club post there club flight in UTC.

UTC never changes so it is just a matter of + or - the required number of hours dependent on your location in the world & dst etc.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

With PDT/PST being UTC-8 and UTC-7, it's a frequent occurence that the UTC date is the 'next day', which never fails to cause issues for people who don't often deal with UTC. This is a tough one to solve.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I think it is as tough as one wants to make it. The answer can be found here,
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... main/94341
My perception is that the majority of people on PE are real world pilots so I am just a tiny bit surprised at the lack of understanding of UTC & it's advantages.