Visuals on slave computer

arb65912

Re: Visuals on slave computer

Post by arb65912 »

Hi Keith, 64 bit works fine BUT Reality XP GNS530 does not, sucks. Sent you mail with short explanations. Cheers, AJ
Martin Sulzynski

Post by Martin Sulzynski »

I have a master slave configuration as follows:

Master PC:
Connected to bottom monitor and shows just the instrument panel. The master also has the PTT.

Slave PC:
Connected to top monitor and shows the external visuals.

I currently have the PE client installed on the Master (Win 7) only and wish to see traffic on the external visuals. The limitation here is that I cannot make the external visual PC the Master since custom data refs will not be passed to a slave and this limits the avionics that can function on a slave. The external visuals need to stay as a slave.

Do I need to get a special "slave" build of the PE client?
Do both Master and Slave run the PE client simultaneously?
I am assuming that if I want to run the Slave (Visuals) on Ubuntu 13.10, I am still limited to a 32 bit PE client at present? For 64 bits I need to still run Windows on the slave?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Martin,

Have you read the Multi Machine Configuration section of this page? http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-xplane

There is a 32-bit linux client in dev mode, but the deployment is non-trivial unless you're really comfortable with linux. I'd say make your life easy and just run windows on that external visual.
Martin Sulzynski

Hi Keith.

Thanks for your reply and the link to the multi machine configuration.

I got as far as this:
1. Master machine (Win 7) can connect to PE in both 32 and 64 bit mode.
2. Slave machine (Ubuntu 13.10) can connect to PE in 32 bit mode when it is not configured as a Slave Visual. In other words, I can independently connect to PE on Ubuntu 13.10 as a single machine. I see the automated traffic etc..

I then followed the step of adding xplane/Resources/plugins/VSPro Resources/VSProSlaves.ini on the master (Win 7) and adding "1" to that ini file for the one external visual.

Next I reconfigured the Slave Visual as a Slave via Settings->Net Connections Extern Visual. I then restarted XP on both the master and slave to confirm the master/slave was working ok without the PE connection.

Then as per the instructions I Connected to PE on the slave first. I noticed that when I selected Plugins->VsPro->Connect on the Ubuntu slave, there was no visual feedback (as noted in the instructions), the Connect option then greyed out, but the Disconnect option also remained greyed out. In other words, once the slave connected it could not be disconnected via the menu. Is that what I should be seeing?

Finally, I connected to PE on the Master Win 7 machine as normal. I was able to see automated traffic (white paints) while sitting on the ground at KSNA on the Win 7 Master, but those corresponding white paints did not show up on the ubuntu Slave. I tried using both a 32 and 64 bit Master and in both cases, there was nothing seen on the slave. Could I have missed a step?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Martin,

Correct, you should not be able to 'disconnect' once connected on the slave. The 'connect' on the slave is actually more of a 'listen', that's probably a good way to think about it.

Sounds like all is well, other than the fact that you can't see the traffic on the slave when it's running as a slave. We know it is a slave, though, so the issue is likely on the master. It might not know it's a master. I suspect a poorly named or placed vsproslaves.ini file. Can you send your vspro.out log file from the master?
Martin Sulzynski

Update:

My mistake.

I created VSProSlaves.ini via right mouse click and it was created as VSProSlaves.ini.txt. I did not notice this initially becuase in folder options there was a configuration to hide extensions of known file types. Once I fixed this up it worked even with a 64 bit Win 7 Master and 32 bit Ubtunu 13.10 Slave.

Should I be seeing the white paints on the slave identically as on the Master? I am definitely seeing traffic on the slave now, just not as reliably as on the Master. Sometimes the Slave matches the Master exactly, sometimes I will see three paints on the Master, but only two paints on the Slave.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good ol' Windows, "helping" you by hiding file extensions. The single worst feature in Windows Explorer that I've ever seen. I've lost count of how many times this has caused issues for our users. In the future, we'll just ship with a VSProSlaves.ini file with a setting of 0 so that users don't have to create it themselves.

AFAIK, the only time you will see an issue of some aircraft missing on the slave is if you don't execute the launch steps in the right order. You must have the slave listening PRIOR to the master connecting to the network. Otherwise, the slave is going to come to the party too late to see some of the traffic.
Martin Sulzynski

Hi Keith,

In my testing the slave always listens first before the master connects.

The partially missing traffic appears to be a problem only on the Ubuntu slave. I have a second older Win 7 machine that I repeated the test on and the Windows PE client acting as a slave does not miss any of the traffic. Have there been any updates to the linux PE client in recent months? I installed mine in April 2013 and have not touched it since. Perhaps there are some bug fixes I don't have?