X-Plane Master PC lockup during flight

RiteFlyer

X-Plane Master PC lockup during flight

Post by RiteFlyer »

Hi Keith & PE controllers,

I experienced a first this evening. I run six pcs running X-Plane v9.70 networked. The Master PC handles all PE connectivity. It has worked without a hitch for many months, I use RedBird’s Cygnus software to connect to my iPad running ForeFlight. All has been great, but tonight, on a night VFR flight with Flight Following from KSBD to KSNA, near Corona, I suddenly experienced an airspeed increase to 1000+kts and an X-Plane crash that required a restart. I repositioned, and tried to resume the flight, but then a few moments later the same thing occurred.

My apologies to the controller for N78LD this evening!

Tomorrow I will try to figure out the problem, just thought I’d check to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Thanks in advance!
"Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I”
-Pink Floyd, "Learning to Fly”
RiteFlyer

Re: X-Plane Master PC lockup during flight

Post by RiteFlyer »

Ok, so I finally figured this problem out- it has been so intermittent and unpredictable. To my surprise, the problem was actually caused by Redbird’s Cygnus plugin (it drives the output to the iPad via a Bad Elf cable for X-Plane 9.70). I run 7 PCs in my sim - 5 for visuals, one for instruments/master and one for an instructor station. I removed the Cygnus plugin from the master, which also handles PE comms, and installed it on the instructor station PC. I’m still not sure why the plugin caused the Maser PC x-plane to hang, but now things are working perfectly. (just in case any other multi-machine x-plane v9 users are interested)

SO there should be no more “radar contact lost!” from the controllers as before when X-Plane froze...
"Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I”
-Pink Floyd, "Learning to Fly”