request feedback on proposed feature

Ian Elchitz

Re: request feedback on proposed feature

Post by Ian Elchitz »

It's a great idea Keith, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

A great example was you pointing out that I had turned on to the non protected side of a hold last weekend. The deconstruction of the events leading to this (poor planning, no well defined method for determining hold entry type, and simply selecting the wrong entry) is something that I truly enjoy. This is one of the primary reasons the network interests me. A realistic environment for me to explore boundaries, make mistakes, and above all learn - for a fraction of the cost (financial) required in the real world.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

A little late to the party but yes, all up for it.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

A resounding yes as long as it is a private designation that only the controllers can see. That takes away the fear of any judgements from fellow pilots. I appreciate greatly the instruction I have received while flying on PilotEdge. I learn more by doing rather than reading and I learn quickly with the tutoring I've received. I hadn't expected that part of the experience but it certainly took the fear of flying online out of the picture.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, Steve. Yes, as mentioned in the original proposal, it would allow the pilot to privately supply that information to the controller. Making the information public will only encourage pilots to overstate their abilities, which does nobody any good at all. I also need to make sure that pilots are aware that controllers don't "care" about the pilot's skill level (in terms of the controller's enjoyment level). They would simply benefit from having accurate information.
sgabriel

Post by sgabriel »

I'm fully in support of the idea. PE pilots could put their background up in their profile or fill in a couple of blanks (which would retain their previous values) each tim ethey log on.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, guys. The feedback has been helpful. It's very likely that we will provide a way for pilots to specify their experience level in a way that will only be seen by the controllers.

I've also concluded that we cannot provide detailed instruction/corrections over the radio. We either need a private back-channel (similar to an instructor speaking over an intercom), or we need to debrief after the flight through another private mechanism.
Christian Mears

Post by Christian Mears »

I don't believe I saw this mentioned, but what about designating a specific day/night of the week that is dedicated to having that instruction available, but not on the current focus flights? Scenario being: Keith or someone is acting as controller on the normal frequency, someone else to act as "instructor" on another frequency (CTAF perhaps) that pilots could tune on COM2 speaker, and new or inexperienced pilots could fly around and not be as concerned with screwing-up the enjoyment factor for the more experienced folks. The instructor could offer advice by callsign or answer questions via text, but it would allow ATC to do their job and be especially vigilant with all the inexperienced possibilities. Everyone would still be welcome to join in, but it would just be understood that this was a newbie time-slot. Perhaps during the "free-flight" hour or two prior to a focus flight or something?

Sort of like our Labor Day weekend parties, where we have the "Serious Ball Court" and the "Kiddie Ball Court;" not that anyone is excluded from either, but you walk in with a certain understanding.

-Chris

*Made a couple edits for clarity, if that's possible with my posts.
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

Christian Mears wrote:I don't believe I saw this mentioned, but what about designating a specific day/night of the week that is dedicated to having that instruction available, but not on the current focus flights? Scenario being: Keith or someone is acting as controller on the normal frequency, someone else to act as "instructor" on another frequency (CTAF perhaps) that pilots could tune on COM2 speaker, and new or inexperienced pilots could fly around and not be as concerned with screwing-up the enjoyment factor for the more experienced folks. The instructor could offer advice by callsign or answer questions via text, but it would allow ATC to do their job and be especially vigilant with all the inexperienced possibilities. Everyone would still be welcome to join in, but it would just be understood that this was a newbie time-slot. Perhaps during the "free-flight" hour or two prior to a focus flight or something?

Sort of like our Labor Day weekend parties, where we have the "Serious Ball Court" and the "Kiddie Ball Court;" not that anyone is excluded from either, but you walk in with a certain understanding.

-Chris

*Made a couple edits for clarity, if that's possible with my posts.
Keith,

I just typed up an essay for this thread. Then I read this post, so i'm just going to quote this one because it sounds like the best solution for the given problem.

I don't know if the controllers have noticed, but in the comments section when I log on, I have it set to "Be Gentile!", because with my lack of experience, there's almost a guarantee that i'll do something wrong (like last night :roll: ).
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

Keith Smith wrote: I've also concluded that we cannot provide detailed instruction/corrections over the radio.
I, for one, am glad to see you've decided this way.
Ben Anello

Post by Ben Anello »

I think it is generally agreed that it would be a good feature. The point I'd like to see is that instead of entering the pilot experience information when you register, do so when you log in each time with the system (or the client) keeping track of what was entered the last session so you don't have to reenter it each time. That way, pilots can adjust what kind of experience they are looking for from the controllers on any given session.