Help configuring PilotView + TrackIR

Pieces

Help configuring PilotView + TrackIR

Post by Pieces »

Hey everyone,

I just installed PilotView to try and solve some of the issues with XP10's native TrackIR support. I'm having a lot of trouble getting in configured, though. The documentation on the site (http://www.xpluginsdk.org/) isn't very clear on some of the steps (or maybe I'm simply too dense).

I would like to be able to setup a few preset positions and view limits, but following the instructions isn't really getting me anywhere. The positions don't seem to save or the limits change drastically or the behavior is inconsistent. As far as I can tell it is working properly (i.e. not buggy), but I am expecting the various configuration buttons to do something other than they actually are. Does anyone have a good source on the proper way to use the control panel in the plugin to setup views while using TrackIR?
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Pieces

Re: Help configuring PilotView + TrackIR

Post by Pieces »

After fiddling some more, I'm kind of getting there. The control panel is just a bit strange.
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
DeRiet

Post by DeRiet »

Hi Reece, a long time ago I also used the Pilotview plugin from Sandy Barbour but since a long time (I believe since XP9) I've been using the native XP trackIR functionality. It's not perfect but it does the job.

So I'm just curious, does the Pilotview plugin really work better than the native XP functionality?

Thanks,
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

There are several things I've noticed, though none make the plugin a must have. The biggest advantage is the full 6 DoF. The roll helps make looking around feel more natural to me. Second, it allows for saving camera positions that work while in the 3d cockpit. As far as I could tell, the built-in view recall (via the numpad) didn't work with TIR enabled. Finally, Once I figured out the control panel, I was able to set up view limits easier than fiddling with the curves in TIR.

Jury is still out on whether the actual tracking is an improvement. I just changed several graphics settings, so my framerate isn't great at the moment. I need to get that back into an acceptable range before I can really tell how good the movement is.
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
DeRiet

Post by DeRiet »

OK thanks. One thing that annoys me is that with the native XP support my head position is always moving down considerably when I tilt my head forward. That's not natural at all.

I'll try the plugin and will see if it's any better.

Cheers,
DeRiet

Post by DeRiet »

Hi Reece, I just installed the pilotview today and to my surprise (and as far as I can see) it actually works great; a lot better than native trackIr. It seems to track well, I like the 6 DOF a lot and it just feels more natural.

Cheers,