KSMX Taxi Diagram - What Do Controllers USE?

Billvt

KSMX Taxi Diagram - What Do Controllers USE?

Post by Billvt »

I fly with X-Plane 10 and had an issue with taxiing at KSMX (Santa Maria)

Landed at KSMX on runway 30 and controller said to taxi to parking via taxiway "C"

There is no taxiway "C" off of runway 30 on the taxi diagram but there is in Xplane

I use the taxi diagram from SkyVector (FAA taxi diagram) and the signage at KSMX in Xplane-10 is completely wrong except for taxiway "A"

A runway sign at runway 20 is also wrong. It reads 20-12 instead of 20-02

I have the latest data downloaded for XPlane and the only custom download I could find for KSMX is for the MAC ( I run Windows )

Question is, what taxi diagrams are the controllers looking at to issue their taxi instructions?

Thanks,
Bill
Peter Grey

Re: KSMX Taxi Diagram - What Do Controllers USE?

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

This is a very good question. Our controllers use a radar client which displays an airport diagram on the screen. We strive to keep this airport diagram up to date with the most current data.

However, in a couple of airports we are a little bit out of date, KSMX included (KSMX recently renamed most of the taxiways at the airport and extended runway 30). However, our controllers are aware of this airport being a little out of date and should issue taxi instructions consistent with the current airport diagram.

What your simulator shows however is a different world. These changes to KSMX are very recent, so recent that no sim by default has an accurate taxiway diagram (or the runway expansion) by default and apparently no scenery exists for this change yet. As a result the instructions we issue are not correct for your sim.

If this happens let us know the problem and we will work with you to get your airplane to the ramp or runway using more generic instructions.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net