Intermittent connectivity to pilotedge.net

JeffK

Intermittent connectivity to pilotedge.net

Post by JeffK »

Is anyone else experiencing problems accessing the website several times a day? On all 3 of my browsers it will stop working (chrome, firefox, ie) and I'm not sure if my pilot edge client drops out as well. This seemed to start happening about a week ago and does not effect my android tablet. I'm running windows 7 and if I go into command prompt and do: ipconfig /flushdns to clear out the dns cache, it usually starts working after that. I know everything points to it being an issue on my machine but this is the only website I'm having issues with and virus scans have come up clean. I'm not sure what to think but somehow dns cacheing is involved, is the site using some kind of weird dynamic DNS service?
So in order to try to troubleshoot further, please let me know if any of you have had this issue recently.

Edit: it does appear to disconnect the client as well but I did not get a connection lost error or anything.
Last edited by JeffK on Tue May 27, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pieces

Re: Intermittent connectivity to pilotedge.net

Post by Pieces »

I have also had some intermittent connectivity problems. Once connected, everything seems fine, but occasionally the site will not load the first time or the client will not connect right away.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Something fishy is going on with DNS. Several pilots have reported this and some of the controllers have struggled to connect to the voice server as a result of the DNS being hit and miss.

I will check with our DNS provider and see if we can add some alternate DNS servers into the mix.
dave_paige

Post by dave_paige »

Hi Keith;

Also the voice transmissions from controllers have been breaking up a bit making it hard to make out what's been said, just in the last couple of days.

Dave
Dave Paige
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL
FrigginGuy

Post by FrigginGuy »

dave_paige wrote:Hi Keith;

Also the voice transmissions from controllers have been breaking up a bit making it hard to make out what's been said, just in the last couple of days.

Dave
+1 to this. Been noticing it over the long weekend.
Seattle, WA
KRNT
N434EP
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

I've been noticing this too. It takes a number of attempts before the website finally loads up for me. Often I just have to leave it for a few minutes and try again later.

Also the recordings don't seem to load for me at all at the moment.
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

No problems here (east coast, USA).
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
JeffK

Post by JeffK »

Just had it happen again, I'm on the West Coast. I was watching AtomicFrawg's stream and I mentioned it in chat, he actually pulled up chrome during the stream and verified that he was able to access the website. I wonder if there is something wrong with the routing for certain regions?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jeff, when this happens, try to ping www.pilotedge.net from a command prompt. If you see an IP (72.14.x.x), then it's not DNS related, and I assume the pings will fail. However, if it can't resolve the IP (ie, you get unknown host as the error), then it's DNS.
Michael Smith

Post by Michael Smith »

Glad to know it's not just me having the issues... Perhaps NSA is to blame?
Flows Prevent Collisions - Good Landings Easy