TCAS Alerts

bruce

TCAS Alerts

Post by bruce »

I'm aware that the pilot has ultimate responsibility for the safety of the a/c & himself but just what is the correct action on receiving a TCAS alert & what should be conveyed to ATC if the pilot takes avoiding action?

As a supplementary, I am so used to hearing SOCAL making one aware of other a/c I was a little surprised that one passed unannounced just off my left wing & approx.500ft below going in the opposite direction, quite an impressive closing speed. :shock: Close enough to file a "near miss"?. Probably would not have seen it but for the TCAS alert.
gavink42

Re: TCAS Alerts

Post by gavink42 »

If the aircraft gets a resolution alert (RA), as opposed to a traffic advisory (TA), that aircraft should follow the command of TCAS, even if contrary to ATC instructions. The logic is that your TCAS has analyzed the closure situation and has selected the proper action that will avoid a collision.

As for communicating with ATC, you should do so once once you're clear of the conflict. Until then, the Pilot Flying (PF) should be complying with TCAS and the Pilot not Flying (PNF) should be ensuring the same and also looking for the traffic. Those should be the primary actions until you receive the clear of conflict message.

Modern TCAS installations can coordinate the response between each equipped aircraft, that will result in the RA commanding opposite actions to increase the separation rate.

A TA is similar to ATC pointing out traffic to an aircraft. Try to acquire it visually, but avoidance maneuvers are not being commanded.

The above is for real-world... what a FSX/P3D aircraft might implement is another issue!

- Gavin
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

bruce wrote:As a supplementary, I am so used to hearing SOCAL making one aware of other a/c I was a little surprised that one passed unannounced just off my left wing & approx.500ft below going in the opposite direction, quite an impressive closing speed. :shock: Close enough to file a "near miss"?. Probably would not have seen it but for the TCAS alert.
Bruce, unless you were in Class B or Class C airspace, ATC does not provide separation of IFR from VFR aircraft. The traffic alerts are issued on a workload permitting basis, but there are times where we are too busy to call every plane we see, or we simply don't see it due to the volume or airspace we work. If you're in VMC, you need to be looking out for other traffic, whether you're flying under VFR or IFR.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Understandable------I was Ksan to Kvny on a SANN16 at 8000ft. Not to sure of my exact location but possibly before I entered the Bravo. The real question was the action to take re TA & RA, that I am now clear on. Thanks & thanks to Gavin for the answer
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Very good. The drones don't enter Bravo airspace, although it's possible they were just below it. And welcome back, btw!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Cheers, just completed the Dash 8 OCU hence the TCAS question