Transmit COM2 on Carenado F33A BONANZA

kullery

Transmit COM2 on Carenado F33A BONANZA

Post by kullery »

Com1/2 support can be tricky to achieve with certain planes since the audio panels are not really set up to specify the TX and RX settings separately on most panels. We started working with Carenado as of the B200, but previously released aircraft probably won't behave as you're hoping. I can look at them on a case by case basis and help you get the COM2 going. Otherwise, I would just limit it to 1 com radio and perhaps use COM2 to get the ATIS. My guess is that regardless of which radio you select on the panel, it continues to transmit/receive on COM1 only when it comes to PE.
Keith (or any one else that knows) - Is there any way to make COM2 TX work in the Carenado F33A BONANZA? I found a suggestion at xplane.org. I made edits to "avionics.lua" file as suggested and got COM2 TX working (I could see COM2 freq changes on pilotedge map) but those changes disabled other functionality (no engine sound, no pop up windows, etc.). Any suggestions about a way to get COM2 transmit capability on this aircraft without breaking other functionality or am I just stuck with COM2 as "ATIS only"?

added the following to "avionics.lua" file

Code: Select all

***added at top of file***
defineProperty("Com1Au", globalPropertyi("sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_selection_com1"))
defineProperty("Com2Au", globalPropertyi("sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_selection_com2"))
defineProperty("AudioPanelOut", globalPropertyi("sim/cockpit/switches/audio_panel_out"))

***tried adding this function at various locations in file***
function update()

if get(Com1Au) == 1 and get(Com2Au) == 0 then
 set(AudioPanelOut, 6)
elseif get(Com1Au) == 0 and get(Com2Au) == 1 then
 set(AudioPanelOut, 7)
elseif get(Com1Au) == 1 and get(Com2Au) == 1 and get(AudioPanelOut) == 7 then
 set(AudioPanelOut, 6)
end

end
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Re: Transmit COM2 on Carenado F33A BONANZA

Post by Keith Smith »

It sounds like you might have replaced the existing update() function which was already doing things like engine sound, pop-up windows, etc.

I wouldn't recommend hacking code unless you are comfortable interpreting the code that you're inserting to make sure it makes sense to be putting it there. If you send me original avionics.lua then I'll check it out.

I don't have the F33A Bonanza so I can't actually test it. I'd suggest restoring the original avionics.lua and just stick with com1 for ATC interaction and com2 for ATIS.

I'm working with Carenado to try to get this standardized across their aircraft. They put out a plane a month, though, so their ability to go back and do updates is not great, especially since they sell their planes through multiple distributors.

What we might do is put up a section of the site containing updates for those aircraft for PE.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Thanks Keith.....

"Interpreting the code I was inserting" was easy.....it's the "making sure it makes sense to be putting it there" part that I'm not so good at :shock: . But it's a good learning experience.

I didn't find an existing "function update()" so I tried adding the function.

But, as you said, it's acting like an existing update() got disabled so I'll take a closer look to see how it is running the functionality that got disabled. That may give me a clue for the appropriate place to add the logic to set "AudioPanelOut".
kullery

Post by kullery »

I think I found it....I moved those updates to the logic.lua file instead of avionics.lua

There I found the existing "function update()" to which I added the logic to set "AudioPanelOut" based on the selected COM.

So far all aircraft functions appear to be normal and I was able to see COM2 frequencies on the map when COM2 was selected. Will do some more testing this weekend when I have more time.

Edited to clarify
Last edited by kullery on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ahh yes, the old "my post said I edited one file, but really I was editing another one" bug. We've all seen it before ;)
kullery

Post by kullery »

oh no....that's not what I meant. I initially DID make the changes in aviaonic.lua. After your advice, I did some more searching to figure out where the existing "function update()" function was hiding.

I found it in logic.lua, so I moved all of the code changes to that file and it works like a charm.