My first FSE experience

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Cyrus

My first FSE experience

Post by Cyrus »

So I took my first FSE flight last night and I netted a cool v$782.25. I'm chuffed to bits! :D

After sitting on the fence for so long with FSE, I finally decided to read the quick start guide and just jump in. I really wanted to fly the Baron 58 (my go-to plane these days) so I first had to pick one up at Chino (where there were no suitable assignments but there was the plane I wanted) and hop over to Ontario (where there were no planes I wanted but there was a short assignment) for my pick up. After struggling for a bit with .Net errors, and then figuring out that I simply needed to change the "Title" entry in my Aircraft.cfg file for the Carenado Baron 58 to match the default FSX Baron 58, I was able to grab the plane and head over to Ontario. The "package" was a couple of drunken Hollywood celebs [in my imagination] and I had to fly them into LAX.

I did both trips offline from the PE network, as I was short on time last night and also because I was so worried about doing something goofy or wrong, and the pressure of real/live ATC would have been too much for me on top of the FSE "work" (which I now know realize is as simple of clicking "Start Flight" and then just managing your fuel sensibly).

I've heard so many good things about the RealAir Duke (v1 and, now, the v2), that this might be my next plane (although I'm still loving my Carenado BE58, but getting above 12,000ft can be a real challenge sometimes). The only problem I foresee with FSE is that there weren't many Duke's hanging around in SoCal airports to rent. So now I need to save up the $40.00 to buy the RealAir Duke 2.0 (oh and the v$500,000+ that I'll need to buy my own Duke on FSE, so I don't have to rely on finding one to rent. :lol: ).

In summary, PE + FSE is going to be great. This truly is the perfect combination of objective-based fun and realism for me. I just wish I had made the effort to delve into FSE earlier.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
jagipson

Re: My first FSE experience

Post by jagipson »

I've recently started using FSE as well. A few tips: Fill all the seats in your airplane, if possible. Take multiple assignments, if necessary. Sometimes your assignments will make a multi-hop itinerary, for example you might pickup a plane-load of PAX at Chino, and half will deplane at one airport, and then you'll have to fly to another airport to deplane the remainder.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Got it - and thanks for that advice (it seems to be the general consensus around these boards as well).

There may not be lots of variety of planes at any given airport, but there are almost always people or cargo waiting to go somewhere.

I think I'm really going to have some fun with this!
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've tried to steer people towards FSE for a long time. When you combine FSE and PE, you have something which models real world owner/operator flying pressures as closely as it gets. It also gets you flying between city pairs that you may not have otherwise chosen, which is always good practice.