new guy with some SB questions

Gus Heinze

new guy with some SB questions

Post by Gus Heinze »

Hello,
I just started flying on PE the other night, so far IT'S GREAT!

I have 2 questions. On VATSIM I use FSINN with FS9. I am able to make FS9 play through my speakers and ATC plays through my headset. This way the engine noises don't drown out ATC.

1) Is this possible with PE and SB? Again I'm using FS9. Currently I can either hear everything through my speakers OR my headset but cannot separate them like I can explained above.

2) when I fly on PE I see what I've heard referred to as "paper-airplanes" for the other traffic. I see a lot of traffic which is nice, I'm assuming these are the "drone(s)"....right? How can I make them look like planes, and not "paper-planes"?

Thank you,
Gus
Keith Smith

Re: new guy with some SB questions

Post by Keith Smith »

I have 2 questions. On VATSIM I use FSINN with FS9. I am able to make FS9 play through my speakers and ATC plays through my headset. This way the engine noises don't drown out ATC.

1) Is this possible with PE and SB? Again I'm using FS9. Currently I can either hear everything through my speakers OR my headset but cannot separate them like I can explained above.
From the Issues list in the FS9 section:
- Option to select recording and playback device is not yet implemented. The client uses the DEFAULT playback and recording device for now. This will be fixed ASAP
2) when I fly on PE I see what I've heard referred to as "paper-airplanes" for the other traffic. I see a lot of traffic which is nice, I'm assuming these are the "drone(s)"....right? How can I make them look like planes, and not "paper-planes"?
We're working on making sure that there are models in place for the drones that are being used. The next release of the software prints some information on the console to tell you what planes are in the session, what their ICAO code is, and what aircraft they're mapped to (in some cases 'NONE'). If you could let us know which planes you're coming across that result in 'none', that would be helpful. Additionally, we'll change the default aircraft from the paper airplane to something more reasonable.

Keith
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Gus,

When you get a chance, grab the new FS9 client (0.9.1a) and install the new pe.sm9 file in the squawkbox/aircraft folder. If you have the stock FS9 aircraft installed, it will use those to render the Piper Archer, Cessna 172, Lear 45, etc. That should reduce the number of paper airplanes :)
NinerNiner

Post by NinerNiner »

Gus Heinze wrote: On VATSIM I use FSINN with FS9. I am able to make FS9 play through my speakers and ATC plays through my headset. This way the engine noises don't drown out ATC.

Is this possible with PE and SB? Again I'm using FS9. Currently I can either hear everything through my speakers OR my headset but cannot separate them like I can explained above.

Thank you,
Gus
For those using FSX, the environmental sounds and ATC can be separated between your speakers and headset. In FSX SETTINGS...SOUND, under 'Windows sound devices', drop down the Sounds list and select the speakers (Default Primary for my Realtek). Drop down the Voice list and select the option for your mic (Default Voice Device for me). Some of the wording can be easily overlooked, so match these exactly.
You also have to configure your Windows Sound setting for this to work. Go to CONTROL PANEL...SOUND. In the Playback window set your speakers as Default Device and your mic as Default Communications Device.
I verified this works within SB and while connected online.
You might have to play with the settings to get your combination to work properly.
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

A temporary fix to your first problem is to set your audio device to what you want your ATC to come through, start squawk box with these settings and then change your audio device back to your speakers and it will route your sound back to them and the ATC will stay in your headset. Although, you must do this EACH time you start FS9 to fly on PE.

Also, I do not know if this will work with windows XP and older because it doesn't have the capability to change the sound device for FS9 without restarting the sim (WIN7 does this).

edit....In theory if you run WIN XP you could try starting the squawkbox client in stand alone mode using the folder in program files with the audio setup the way you want and then switch back to your speakers before you start FS9.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Steve Caffey

Post by Steve Caffey »

I did find a workaround to have the FS sound come from the speakers, and the PE ATC come through my headset.
1)Start FS9 with "Default Audio Playback" set to speakers before starting (Windows XP control panel)
2)Start flight
3)Change default playback to headset, then start Squawkbox