What happened to SoCal?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
rwebb616

What happened to SoCal?

Post by rwebb616 »

Used to see easily many flights that would fill a 1900D. Do we just have a lot of pilots on here competing for assignments in FSEconomy? Or did one of the major FBOs shut down? Seems like I no longer see OTIS HolyWater....

Rich
Keith Smith

Re: What happened to SoCal?

Post by Keith Smith »

Have you checked SAN? More flights than you can shake a stick at over there.
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

Yes, lots of assignments and aircraft at KSAN!

I own a C206 for rent there at a really nice rate! (N726GK)

- Gavin
Last edited by gavink42 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I'm flying occasionally in SoCal (on PE) with FSE but, since my preferred craft is the Baron 58, I normally have find one in the area first (usually only one or two in ZLA area) and then shuttle it to where I want to fly/take an assignment from.

It's not ideal I suppose, but at least I am discovering some way out small fields that I might never have visited in the process. :)
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Cyrus, there are 21 Barons available for rent within 250nm of LAX.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Yep. But I normally search for something within 50 to 75 miles of SNA... and that's invariably less than 5. Plus, I usually prefer to start and finish at a towered airport, which usually means even less options. But as I said, sometimes those way out rinky-dink private fields are pretty cool to discover too.

Anyway, there's still enough options for me to fly on any given night... and I'm not complaining. In fact, PE + FSE is about "as fun as it gets", imo.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 »

Have you checked SAN? More flights than you can shake a stick at over there.
Yes actually I fly out of SAN. There used to be flights that would fill a 1900 both directions and it seems to be getting harder to do that. I could probably fly all day out of SAN with a baron 58 but I'm looking for the bigger payoffs to earn more money for aircraft, etc.

Plus I just purchased the 1900 from Carenado so I want to play with my new toy and I need assignments!! :)

Rich
TimAbbott

Post by TimAbbott »

I'm not sure if airports changed but the ksan network went up for sale so gates might have been reassigned. I've moved to flying more out of lax in my pc12.