Carenado's scroll wheel and GNS430 roll-out

flyingdrill

Carenado's scroll wheel and GNS430 roll-out

Post by flyingdrill »

5 "new" versions of Carenado's planes rolled out with scroll wheel support for changing frequencies, etc.

I have had a couple of problems:

1) The HSI course adjustment knob on the Mooney - got the new scroll-wheel gizmo, but it doesn't move the pointer at all.
2) Neither the Mooney's nor the Saratoga's HSI course pointer swings to the expected course when in GPS mode. The CDI realigns itself to the correct deviation (if any), but you have to read the DTK off the 430, and then manually turn the pointer to the correct heading. Was that intentional? Plus, I can't move the Mooney's pointer at all (as I've already said).

I posted these problems in the Carenado support forum on the org. site.

Anyone else had a go at these, and having the same trouble, or should I just try restarts, and so on?
Pieces

Re: Carenado's scroll wheel and GNS430 roll-out

Post by Pieces »

The CDI on an analogue HSI doesn't normally follow the GPS, you have to set it manually.

I messed around in the Mooney for a moment and the CDI spun normally, but I did not try to heading bug. Which isn't working for you?
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Quite right, Reece. I'm not thinking. Comes of too much RW flying with glass.......

On reflection, over the years, I've mostly flown RW planes without HSIs, even though they may have had 430s. Other older stuff I've flown, sometimes had an HSI, but never a 430. On reflection, I've intuitively moved the CDI in X-Plane as well when switching, as I should have done. Ignore the post.......

However, I reloaded the Mooney, and now it works fine. Go figure...........
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Further to what I wrote about the Mooney:

Actually, it doesn't work "fine."

What happens is that in VLOC mode, the scroll wheel actuates the HSI OBS as expected - and note that it also alters the OBS on VOR1 simultaneously. In fact, either the VOR's knob or the HSI's one will rotate both simultaneously. Well, that's OK, but if you switch to GPS, then only the VOR's OBS knob will work with the scroll wheel, which is what I found earlier. The VOR knob will alter the HSI in this case.

Another bug I found concerns the scroll wheel of the decimal frequencies on COM 2. There I was, on AP, with ALT hold set. Went to tune the ATIS for the next airport, and the plane started climbing or diving, depending on which way I was changing the frequency - up and down - as if it were changing the trim - although the trim wheel didn't move.

Oh dear.......

Haven't had another go at the Saratoga tonight. I wonder what that will do.......?
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

I'm not completely mad, yet. ;)

Carenado have issued a fix for the HSI scroll wheel. I'm awaiting a reply on the autopilot "trim" problem. A poster (henrimarch) found exactly the same, except he noted that any scroll wheel would start the phugoid oscillation, and he is correct.

The Saratoga is (apparently) OK, but I have yet to test it properly.

The fix is in the .org's Carenado support forum, under my obviously named topic.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Dan (of Carenado) has made two fixes to the Mooney. Read the .org forum post to see what to do, if you want to fly the v3 of their Mooney with the scroll wheel knobs. If you don't bother to alter things, he'll be issuing an update soon, and you can fly v3 without a problem if you disable the scroll wheel option.

The other new versions so far released all work OK. It was only the Mooney that was affected.