[video] BUR-LAS, 2 crew, full CRM, engine out

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Keith Smith

[video] BUR-LAS, 2 crew, full CRM, engine out

Post by Keith Smith »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjwvpgpnbI (full length version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJxvy3zx6JY (12 minute edit with some captions)

With shared cockpit well and truly tested, this is our first crack demoing what an end to end flight with full CRM might look like. It goes swimmingly until one of the engines goes on strike while enroute.

One of the crew members has real world airline experience and knows what he's doing. The other one can make a mean paper airplane and is the Captain. What could possibly go wrong?

What we're actually demoing is the ability to use shared cockpit and PE as a CRM training environment. It really does work.

This was posted on our FB page today, too.

Here's what I could've done better on the flight that I'm aware of:
- didn't have a clear picture of when I could accelerate beyond 200kts (Class C airspace restriction within 4.5nm or 2500' AGL) I knew it was at > 2500ft AGL, but I hadn't actually done the math with Burbank being 880ft MSL. Really, I shouldn't have exceed 200kts until reaching around 3400ft MSL.

- no need to worry about getting the seatbelts/chimes a 10,000ft when I was anticipating the FO would be tied up with the radio work. He later pointed out (offline) that as a low priority item, it could've been deferred until he was done with his calls, even if that meant doing it at 12-13k. As it turns out, he was free prior to 10k in any case.

- should've declared the emergency when the engine went out. If nothing else, if the engine quits in a turbine, you should be wondering what caused it, even if you get it back. A shortcut to get it on the ground quickly would've been prudent, albeit not mandatory.

- the altitude mixup on the CLARR2. Controller issued 10k after SKEBR. By the time I dialed it into the altitude window, I'd mentally shifted that to 7k (the initial climb altitude at Vegas). I also presumed that we were getting a shortcut like we always do. It turns out we didn't due to traffic ahead. So, I asked for clarification of a heading that we were never actually issued. Thankfully, that ended up resulting in a clarification of the altitude, so we dodged a bullet/mountain on that one.

- the gear/flap schedule for the 737 is a bit foreign to me, and as a result of my own airplane having a stupidly low max gear extension speed, I tend to be quite late in getting the gear out in the jets. This time was no exception, I was down to flaps 40 when I finally called for gear. That is not normal ops for the jet, the gear would've come out long before, and we could've used that drag sooner.

- center line tracking during landing rollout. I drifted right during the tail end of the deceleration, anticipating that we'd make Alpha 5. As it turns out, my toe brakes weren't fully deployed as the bar behind the desk was in the way, hence the lethargic braking action. I should've stayed on centerline until I was sure I was going to exit. I am happy with the decision to not force making Alpha 5, though, potentially putting excessive side load on the gear.

That's all I have from memory. If I watch it again, there will undoubtedly be more.

Oh, and I can't believe we launched without a working coffee maker!

Thx to Peter for being so patient in showing me the ropes on the CRM side. I asked many rudimentary questions, often 3-4 times before getting it through my head. It was a very enlightening experience, that's for sure.

Oh, and thanks to the ATP Experience guys for providing traffic into Vegas for us! They had been dutifully hanging around all day waiting for this shoot to happen. We kept pushing out the schedule, so I was very grateful that there was anyone there at all by the time we did the shoot!
Keith Smith

Re: [video] BUR-LAS, 2 crew, full CRM, engine out

Post by Keith Smith »

Also from the FB post:
In the interest of full transparency, we did know the failure was coming, we just didn't know exactly when (we had set it for xx minutes in the future, but neither of us were tracking the time).

Knowing what really caused the failure (ie, us) probably had an effect on my decision making regarding not declaring the emergency. I figured we'd attempt the restart and would declare only if we didn't get it back. This is why there are limits to the realism of setting your own failures. Much better if they can happen without your knowledge. We're working on that, as some of you have already experienced
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

12 minute version with captions also available : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJxvy3zx6JY

This was put together for a few commercial presentations that are coming up, we needed something shorter.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Great stuff. Everybody here knows I'm a bit of a shared cockpit addict, but it's so good to see its full potential being realized.