Frequently Asked Questions Suggestion Thread

Pieces

Frequently Asked Questions Suggestion Thread

Post by Pieces »

Hey everyone,

I've started to notice repeat questions more and more often in the forum. To try and help with that, I am going to compile a frequently asked questions document with references to the forums, workshops, FAA documents, etc.

Please reply to this topic with suggestions for questions or topics that should be included. If you're feeling ambitious, feel free to post links to discussions of the topic or any other place that the question can be answered. I think it would be cool to include timestamp links to the video workshops when applicable.

Some initial ideas:
  • How do I determine which frequency to use?
  • When can I contact the tower?
  • When can I contact ground?
  • Who do I contact for Flight following?
  • Why can't I hear other pilots when the controller talks to them?
  • My computer crashed during a flight, what are my options for continuing the flight? WIll I get in trouble?
  • Can I pause during a flight?
These can be PilotEdge specific questions (like pausing), general flight questions or simulator questions.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
JN_

Re: Frequently Asked Questions Suggestion Thread

Post by JN_ »

Great idea, Pieces. I apologize if this is slightly on a tangent, and I don't mean to disrupt your discussion, but but here's another, follow-up suggestion.

(I haven't personally had a lot of time to participate in this community, but...) I think I community-managed wiki would be ideal for organizing/managing a FAQ and any other common, community knowledge. In addition to procedures and resources for flying, there are so many topics that someone getting started would like to get up to speed quickly on, such as how to set up their favorite flight sim, where to get scenery packs, etc. I wonder if this is something PE would consider hosting. To prevent spammers, write access could be restricted to paying members.

Regards,
Jim
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Makes a lot of sense to me. Keith or Tim want to weigh in?
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Yes, this is definitely worth considering - great suggestion. There's a number of factors to consider, which many of you've identifide. Keith and I can talk it over soon.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Better add this to the list. ;)
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.