Request - Behind the scenes at PilotEdge

stevekirks

Request - Behind the scenes at PilotEdge

Post by stevekirks »

PilotEdge Team:

On a perennial wish list of mine is a "behind the scenes" story on PilotEdge. I have questions stuck in my head like...

* What about a video of a controller "loading up for work" - from computer prep to first log in?
* What does a typical controller setup look like? Are they standardized?
* How many hours of training does a typical PE controller go through before they are 'solo' on the scopes?
* Do you print out your procedures in a book/binder or use a separate computer and look them up quickly?
* Do you put a dollar in a jar every time someone says "with you"? If so, are you rich yet?
* Is Keith's real world callsign banned on the network (tongue in cheek here)
* Do controllers have a wish list of their own for the pilots?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Re: Request - Behind the scenes at PilotEdge

Post by Keith Smith »

I'll get this one :)

Some of this information is proprietary, so it won't all be answered, but some of the controllers do stream parts of their screen and audio so you can have a behind the scenes look. There's also a few YT videos showing the controlling in action.

We might organize a behind the scenes TRACON tour, too. The very first workshop we gave (before they were recorded) was actually a TRACON tour...so there's no reason we couldn't do it again.

If controllers would like to post their wish list, or funny anecdotes about behind the scenes stuff, I'm fine with that.
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

I typically try to stream at least 1 two hour shift a week. As Keith said a lot of stuff is proprietary and I cannot show it. However, my streams give a pretty good idea of what we see and do.

http://www.twitch.tv/bgrchan
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Brandon Grchan wrote:I typically try to stream at least 1 two hour shift a week. As Keith said a lot of stuff is proprietary and I cannot show it. However, my streams give a pretty good idea of what we see and do.

http://www.twitch.tv/bgrchan
Can't hit the twitch from work, but I'll check it from home...

Thanks for the positive responses so far.

No comment on the Jar of With You....? :)
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I wrote something back in 2007'ish regarding the common mistakes that jet pilots make when flying online, it might give you an idea of some of the heckling that goes on behind the scenes: http://training.pilotedge.net/object/ZL ... rrors.html
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

stevekirks wrote:
No comment on the Jar of With You....? :)
I would need a 55 gallon drum to hold the one dollar bills.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

The biggest thing on my wish list is that pilots communicate the intention to conduct instrument approaches rather than catch us off-guard with a missed approach. When someone shoots an IAP into a VFR airport, we expect (and subsequently clear him/her for) a full stop landing. When the pilot says "missed approach," we are left puzzled, and annoyed because there is a sudden increase in coordination that has to happen which could have been prevented earlier. Has the weather changed? Is the simulator running IMC weather? Did we miss something?

We need to know:
1. What you wanna do. "Practice instrument approach."
2. How the approach will terminate. "Low approach, vectors/published missed/published hold" or "Full stop."
3. What your next request is: "Vectors for ILS Runway 20R," "ILS Runway 20R beginning from [navaid]," etc.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII