FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Rush

FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Post by Rush »

As this is going to be released today, there are many future slight simmers who will purchase this. Any word on if this will be compatible with the Pilot Edge client?
Keith Smith

Re: FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Post by Keith Smith »

Depends on whether the registry keys remain the same. If not, our installer is going to think that FSX isn't installed. If anyone tries it soon, let me know, otherwise I'll have one of our staff try it.
Rush

Post by Rush »

I haven't seen it be released yet
Rush

Post by Rush »

Keith,

it just launched on Steam this morning. On sale for $4.99... I am downloading now and will test the Pilot Edge client and other add on capabilities and let you know.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Keith, just confirmed the PE client does not work with the Steam Edition.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I wonder if they're not including SimConnect in the FSX version. If so, we're not going to be able to speak with it. A bunch of add-ons won't work, either. We'll find out.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Found this on Reddit:
Required SimConnect API Reinstall, It's in the SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK folder.

So, that more or less confirms that it does NOT ship with SimConnect installed, but you can install it. That should just about do it in terms of an EXISTING PE installation being able to work with the Steam version.

If you don't have PE installed, though, I don't yet know if the installer will detect Steam FSX (it depends on what registry keys they use). I can add support for it once I found out what the keys are.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I remembered that I have a steam account from the days when I'd play HalfLife. :) Am downloading FSX now, will see what the registry keys are when it's done.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

it turns out catstrator has already performed a PE install against the Steam edition, and it did find it. So, that's a good start.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Got it working locally on a machine that didn't have FSX on it at all prior to that. The registry keys are the same, so the installer has no problem.

However, I had to do 3 things:
1) install the FSX-SP1 SimConnect, located in: x:\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1
2) remove Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll from X:\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\managed for FSX to run properly. YMMV.
3) I had to configure PE to 'Run As Administrator' for the keyboard-based PTT to work

Evidently they have FSX running as Administrator, that's why the PTT had an issue initially. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to shower and burn these clothes.