ATC cannot hear me

arsindelve

ATC cannot hear me

Post by arsindelve »

Here's the summary: PE controllers cannot hear me, but I can hear them and I'm looking for advice.

Background: I just purchased a Logitech G35 headset. It's my default playback and recording device in Windows. In PE, I can hear the controllers, but they cannot hear me. I don't suspect a problem with my PTT button mapping as everything used to work fine with my old crappy headset. I also know the mic is working because I can see the audio levels spike in the little windows utility when I talk. If I use the same setup on my Mac, everything works (but that is not a long term solution since I cannot even taxi to the runway on my Mac before XPlane crashes - that's a story for another day). At the same time, I also purchased a Saitek radio panel, but I don't think there is a connection there because I tried it with and without the radio panel connected and get the same result.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions I can try? Thanks.
Last edited by arsindelve on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmburns

Re: ATC cannot hear me

Post by wmburns »

Confirm that you are using the latest PE pluging. Confirm that your X-Plane is fully up to patch level.

In the PilotEdge plugin menu, what audio device has been selected in the PilotEdge preferences?

menu, plugins, PilotEdge, preferences.

If the correct device isn't selected, then likely this is your problem.

An alternate suggestion is to test your head set and mic with an Application such as Skype. Skype has a record/playback feature that can be quite handy. If the headset/mic works on Skype, then you should be able to focus your efforts looking somewhere else.

Regarding your other "issues", in general, when X-Plane does things that doesn't make sense, delete the X-plane preference file and let X-plane re-create it. It is also important to mention any add on software installed as well as which planes have been tested on. It's almost always a good idea to repeat tests using a DEFAULT X-Plane aircraft.

http://wiki.x-plane.com/Deleting_the_Preferences

As a reminder that this will delete any/all custom key and joy stick mappings so be prepared to re-create them

Regarding the Saitek radio I LOVE mine. Have you installed the Xsaitekpanels plugin yet? The radio panel won't work without the plugin. Do you know where to get it and how to install? My experience with it was very straight forward. Nothing but good things to say.
Last edited by wmburns on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

Thanks for the reply.

I did download the Saitek drivers and the radio is working perfectly. I am sure I will love it, just as soon as I can sort out this one little issue! This will be the first of many purchases like this, slowly over time as I set money aside. Some day, I hope to have a really great simulator rig.

Regarding you suggestions, I can confirm that in the PE plugin preferences, the proper audio device is selected. One of the things I tried last night was to delete and re-install the PE plugin, but I've done a lot of troubleshooting since then, so I'll try deleting the preferences file and try again.

Thanks again for the prompt reply and the suggestions.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you're hearing ATC, but they can't see you, then going to the plugin preferences isn't relevant, because that's for playback only, and you don't have a playback issue, you have a recording issue.

There are only 2 things I can think of:
1) Perhaps you have another recording device selected which is configured to be the "Default Communications Device." Windows will use that FIRST if one exists. OTHERWISE, it uses the "Default Recording Device."

2) Can you verify that your Push To Talk is working? I know you said it was working with your old headset, but it's still worth a shot. You can verify by pushing it 5 times within 4 seconds. If it's working, you'll be disconnected from the network. Click it 5 times again within 4 seconds and it should connect you to the network. If this isn't happening, it's not an audio problem, it's simply a matter of mapping a button to the "Contact ATC" function in X-Plane.
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

Keith: Thanks very much for taking the time to try and help on Christmas Eve. I really appreciate it. I can confirm that my G35 is the default recording device in windows. I'm trying your other suggestion now.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Keith,

Does the PE client still have the issue with long call signs on Linux/Mac causing crashes?

To the OP, what call sign are you using to login to PE on your MAC? Have you tried a shorter one?

Disclaimer. I'm no MAC expert or anything close to it. I do read a lot and did stay in a Holiday Inn once ( :roll: )
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

arsindelve wrote:Keith: Thanks very much for taking the time to try and help on Christmas Eve. I really appreciate it. I can confirm that my G35 is the default recording device in windows. I'm trying your other suggestion now.
Understood, but can you confirm there isn't any other device that is depicted as the 'default communications device' under the Recording Devices tab?
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

I use "CGMIK". I have not tried a shorter one but I'll add that to the list of things to try as soon as XPlane boots up.

The Mac crashes are just brutal, but I don't know that PE is the cause, because honestly, I've never flown XPlane without PE, (who would want to :) There are few things as frustrating as being just about to land after a wonderful, successful flight and then getting booted to the desktop.

But I should do the experiment to find out. My Mac is a much, much more powerful machine than my PC, and it does not exhibit any of the problems I'm having with the headset, so solving that issue would also be amazing.
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

Keith Smith wrote: Understood, but can you confirm there isn't any other device that is depicted as the 'default communications device' under the Recording Devices tab?
I disabled all other recording devices. Logitech G35 is the only (and default) device on that tab.
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

Without doing anything except rebooting and loading XPlane, I was able to get a successful radio check just now. I'm worried it's a intermittent problem, but for now I think we can rule out all the obvious stuff. A big thank you to both of you for all the great suggestions.