Flying the Alphabet - AOPA Article as Inspiration

36 leg Achievement
snglecoil

Re: Flying the Alphabet - AOPA Article as Inspiration

Post by snglecoil »

stevekirks wrote:Couldn't stand it:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=34.92557416838 ... 8:A.K2.L90
Hmmmmm...47 hours en route in a C172. Nope, don't think the wife and kids will let me get away with that one :lol: It's a major miracle that I made all 3 hours of Keith's fly out the other night without interruption.
Chris
PE Call signs: N714VA or N619CT
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

snglecoil wrote:
stevekirks wrote:Hmmmmm...47 hours en route in a C172....

I think the idea is not to do this all in one sitting! ;) Just do it a leg or two at a time. Nice easy hops. Kind of like eating an elephant. One bite at a time…..
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I'm still on the idea that this could be the setup for a new training program. I haven't had time to completely articulate this on paper but here's a brief summary:

- Alphabet routes and focus fields could be the next generation of ratings and training programs complete with real scenarios like time and money pressure and such.
- For fun events that have alphabet routes to provide competitive flights like (how fast can you fly the route and not break the rules, restricted by airframe and rating)
- Story-based instruction by example where you fly the alphabet but tell a story with screenshots and flight lessons learned. Wrap it up in an e-book for everyone to enjoy.

There's more but I'm out of time...

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

I'm up for it being the first of many 'achievement' badges (along with the ratings). I definitely encourage people to make Fly With Me posts to invite others to join them. Keep a diary, post it here in the flying forum with stories about what you did on the flight, what you learned, etc. It's all good stuff.

I'm also up for revisiting the focus field concept, we haven't addressed that in some time. The focus fields are towered, though, so we might need a towered A-Z (or as close to it as we can).

For now, I'd say get flyin' and get postin' :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Btw, as nuts as it sounds, there's no reason we can't have multiple Alphabet challenges, they can all be different Achievements.

I have but one request...any chance of replacing L77 with LGB? Double points for it starting with an L in the airport code AND the airport title. Otherwise, finding an airport identifier that starts with an L isn't exactly a challenge with all the non-towered fields :)

I'm very exciting to have rediscovered Lincoln County as I walked through the list. Didn't recognize the name, looked on map, saw just how remote it is. Gotta pay that one a visit. I _think_ I might have recorded a drone there, it's ringing a bell.
kullery

Post by kullery »

I have but one request...any chance of replacing L77 with LGB?
Your network, your rules :)

I hadn't noticed that L77 had been used for both "L" and "7"

Web page is updated

Added a few "suggested rules" and links to PEaware to make it easy to check who has completed each segment.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nice work, Ken. I also sent a request to replace KTOA with KTSP, and then replace 1Z1 with KTOA. This way the 'Z' is pretty solid.

Great job on linking in peaware...that's a great idea.

Anxious to start flying these! It'll be next week before I can, though, I suspect.
kullery

Post by kullery »

also sent a request to replace KTOA with KTSP, and then replace 1Z1 with KTOA
Update completed
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

kullery wrote: Web page is updated

Added a few "suggested rules" and links to PEaware to make it easy to check who has completed each segment.
Another suggestion: Could you add a link to the TEC route search URL for the pair? If it's easy to do it that would be great and I can go through the pairs and find ones with TEC routes.

El Monte to Fullerton:
http://myflightroute.com/tecsub.php?sta ... L&type=%25
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge