Flying a plane that isn't exactly the same?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
PenfoldPilot

Flying a plane that isn't exactly the same?

Post by PenfoldPilot »

Just when I thought PE took X-Plane to a new dimension you guys turned me on to FSE. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. ;)

Here is my issue. I have already put the constraint on myself of flying within PE coverage area for the most part, at least landing\departing from a covered airport. I am also currently committed to only flying a Cessna 210 and that is for RW purposes. Those 2 constraints added to having no FSE money means my options are quite limited on the rental side. What are peoples thoughts on flying aircraft that are very similar to a 210 but are not in fact a 210. A 206, 177, 207 are similar in my opinion and in some cases would limit me to less seats. After searching the FSE forums I couldn't find any ethical opinion on it. I figured I would ask here as you would appreciate the PE coverage area constraint.

I would commit to not flying anything that was faster or bigger that the 210, meaning I wouldn't pretend to be in a 208 and carry additional passengers.

I haven't even tested it but I think the mapping function would allow such an override. I figured it is possible that flying the 210 as a 177 could give a bust based on speed.

I am not really looking for permission so much as opinions and perspective.
Keith Smith

Re: Flying a plane that isn't exactly the same?

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd say do what feels right. If you want to stick to a 210 for specific reasons in the sim, that seems reasonable to me. As long as you're flying FSE aircraft that are relatively close (either way) in terms of performance...you're not doing anything unethical.

Set Aircraft Alias and have at it!
PenfoldPilot

Post by PenfoldPilot »

Thanks, I needed that ethical vote.

I put an ad up in the FSE forums to lease a 210 and got invited to a group with one, so it might be a moot point.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There are rentable Cessna 210's at KBFL, KDLO, KEMT, KLGB, KVBG, KVNY. I'm confused as to what the actual core issue is.

I assumed you couldn't find any 210's to begin with, but there are 6 at those airports alone :)
PenfoldPilot

Post by PenfoldPilot »

Interesting, I think some of those airports must not be in CA as that was how I was searching and that was limiting me to just 3. This is am improvement and between a lease, rentals and a group I joined I won't have to put plan "b" into action. I wish RW aircraft were these easy!
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Those are all in CA... well not sure what KLO is, but VBG is vandenburg AFB - uncontrolled when on PE.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Sorry, edited to KDLO (Delano).

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can search for C210's within xxx nm of a given airport (I picked LAX) that are rentable.

Click "Airports", scroll to the bottom, use the 'Search Airports' form, fill it out as described above (make sure you click the rentable button) and viola.
PenfoldPilot

Post by PenfoldPilot »

I didn't notice that search radius selection, that makes a big difference, thanks.