Alphabet Challenge Leg 3 KCMA - KDLO

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 3 KCMA - KDLO

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Ok, adding this one retroactively because I can't stand to have a gap! I think I skipped it initially because I got the numbers off - thanks flyingdrill for the heads up. http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=86405

Lessons Learned:
Be Patient But Proactive:I filed a route that went East through the valley and then UP and over Condor World. On departure I was assigned a heading west...and kept going and going. I was just about to complain/query when I was given a vector and told to go DIRECT Gorman - saving me a lot of time and trouble. Glad I didn't gripe about going west so far. That said, you are Pilot in Command and you have every right to query ATC about where they are sending you if it's not what you expect/want.

Todd
N3298S
flyingdrill

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 3 KCMA - KDLO

Post by flyingdrill »

Todd,

I just filed FIM, GMN, etc. at 11000 (IFR) - actually 10K might have been more appropriate as the Easterly portion of the trip was relatively short, but the controller gave me 11, and left me there! I had a Westerly departure from KCMA (I knew I would from the METAR), and I guessed i"d get a heading to fly and RVs to FIM. In fact he gave me a heading, and I was cleared direct to FIM a while after take off. By the time I got to FIM, I was already way up and the Condor sanctuary was not going to be a problem, as I was IFR on an airway.

I was cleared for the visual on 32 at Delano, but a drone was flying around and decided to land on 14 while I was on short final. I was making full calls on 122.80, and there was no one else doing so there, so I was pretty sure it was a drone (PE doesn't have NORDO customers (!), and Bakersfield approach would have advised me of traffic or a problem). He didn't get off the runway, so I went around, and landed while he was making another approach to 14. This time the drone went around. Worse than RW at an untowered field ;)
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Good stuff flying drill.

The drones can get a little silly but they do add some decision making challenges. I wonder if they appear differently in xplane based on the aircraft you have installed. I keep waiting to get another plane (human) in the pattern at an uncontrolled field but I never have yet. I keep broadcasting like a tree falling in the forest:)

Thanks for adding to the alphabet challenge.
T
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The visual appearance of models in xplane isn't related to that flyable aircraft that you have installed. They're two completely different sets of libraries.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Keith

I wonder is the same true for other (human) aircraft? Say another pilot is flying a plane in FSX on PE and I'm in xplane. Is your plugin clever enough to show me the exact type of aircraft he's in?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The sim that the other people are using isn't relevant. Think of it this way, do you have a clue which browser I'm using right now as I post this message in this forum? How about when I send you an email from an Ipad, or a phone, or my PC, or my Mac? The details of the client aren't relevant, as long as they speak the right language. On PE, aircraft send their ICAO code, the airline, and the livery...that's it. The type of sim doesn't enter into the equation.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Completed this leg today. No issues with this flight but it did take me two tries. The first try yesterday had the PE client CTD or disconnect a couple times and I just decided to call it off. I believe all it was was that I needed to restart my computer. It had been on for a few days and sometimes it acts funny with all the programs I run while flying.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Completed this leg today but it was colorful. First, I was flying a new airplane for me, the Carenado Phenom 100 (FSX), great airplane (assembled here in Melbourne, FL), but the Carenado G1000 implementation is really lacking. So while I was playing with that and the AFCS, I nearly stalled out of the sky. Then, I couldn't seem to get it slowed down on approach in the descent so I was smoking hot and high on final when a drone decided to take off opposing me on Rwy 14. After going around twice and playing chicken with the same drone I decided to just teardrop and follow behind him on 14. No actual drones were harmed in the making of this flight... but I did wish I could shoot him down.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

I totally forgot I started this months ago, but did today and completed leg 3... ;-) Nothing more than a simple VFR departure to the north out ot KCMA and climb to 10500 to get over the top of the Hawthorne corridor. Good thing too:

Yeah, I'm cheating with tags. but oh well. ;-)

http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=116101
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air