Help with using PE for real world training

RonCraighead

Help with using PE for real world training

Post by RonCraighead »

Hi guys,
I’m new here. I’m a Private pilot, flying mostly Cherokees out of Gillespie (KSEE) in the San Diego area. (180 hours or so…) While I’m not at the point financially to start my Instrument rating, I want to prepare for it as much as possible.
PE seems like a great way to do that. The only concern that I have is negative learning. I don’t want to build any bad habits that will get me in hot water when I begin training in the cockpit.
I’ve got some ‘under the hood’ hours now, and can get more with a safety pilot during my normal flying. My plan is to then do my training in as few hours as possible, starting with the certified Sim hours. I should then only have to spend 15-20 hours in the cockpit with a CFII before my instrument ride.
Any pointers are appreciated, especially regarding gotchas and things to focus on.
Regards,
Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
Keith Smith

Re: Help with using PE for real world training

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Ron, welcome to PE. I moved your post into the Pilots forum since this topic isn't really specific to the PE Pilot Training Program (although it certainly is an interesting topic for discussion).

I don't think PE will introduce many bad habits for r/w flying, however, you'll need to approach your r/w training with an open mind and be prepared to adjust any bad habits you picked up from:
1) self-studying the IFR rules and procedures
2) self-studying basic attitude instrument flying
3) self-studying IFR route planning, flying and ATC communications

Don't be too wedded to the approach frequencies and specific vectors you receive while flying on PE, the vectoring is relatively generic at the smaller fields (even though the initial IFR departure instructions are correct). You might be able to shoot approaches on PE that flat out aren't available in the real world (such as opposite direction approaches). So, as long as you're using this to learn about general IFR procedures, then I think it'll do a good job.

Lastly, the shortcuts that are available in the real world might not match what you can get here. That information is a real-time decision made by Socal rather than something we can extract from the real world SOP's. Otherwise, have at it! Most people remark that they felt more prepared for the real world IFR training as a result of flying here. I really haven't heard of much in the way of negative training (in terms of PE-specific procedures). Real world radios are slightly easier because you don't have one guy trying to work 40 airports, unlike here. We're working on changing how the frequency isolation works, though, so you will actually hear the other pilots in all cases while on clearance/ground freqs, even if the pilot is on a different freq at another airport.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

A suggestion I've seen elsewhere:

Hire your flight instructor at their standard rate to come to your house, sit with you in the virtual right seat, and get some feedback on your progress. An analogy would be like working out a local gym on your own, but bringing in a personal trainer every month or so to critique your exercises, progress and give you tips.

It might not count as real time in a real commerical sim, but it's cheaper than paying the wet rental rate for a ride.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hang in there for a couple more weeks for some interesting movement on this :)
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Using PE will reduce your training time. Think of it as home study. The simulator will help you develop your instrument scan, workload management, and cockpit resource management. Time spent learning how to intercept radials, shoot approaches, and entering a holding pattern on your computer will make the transition to the airplane much quicker and easier (cheaper too). Just as your real training will be structured, start with the basics and build on them. Instrument maneuvers, turns, climbs, then on to basic navigation, holding, approaches, and finally cross countries. I'm sure there are IFR course outlines online somewhere, and the pilot ratings on PilotEdge use this building block game plan. Fly 'em!

My opinion on avoiding bad habits would be to avoid cutting corners and FLY THE SIM LIKE ITS A REAL AIRCRAFT and treat ATC as you do in real life! IE- Don't allow yourself to slip below the minimum altitude for the approach or turn the wrong way because "hey it's just a sim, it's not like I'll die".

If you have questions, had a flight the didn't go the way you thought or hoped it would, or just can't figure out some aspect of IFR, please ask questions on here. There is a wealth of knowledge here from r/w private pilots, CFI/IIs, and airline pilots, your question will be answered and tips given.

When you do show up for instrument training, your instructor will be thrilled to see you have knowledge on the subject. It makes the instructor's job easier, more enjoyable, and allows him/her to focus less on the basics and more on the advanced or obscure aspects of instrument flying.

Good luck with training!
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

I can't thank you enough for the input!

I'll get my sim set up, and start with the online lessons. Then begin to follow some online course outlines, and might have my CFII come over and heckle me a little!

And of course study for my written\IGI exams... :-P

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions!

Thanks again...

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
PenfoldPilot

Post by PenfoldPilot »

I have been doing some remote flight instruction with a CFII using Smart Co Pilot and Skype. It really helped improve my calls and process. It also stopped a couple of bad habits I was developing before they became ingrained. If you PM me I can put you in touch with him.

I can't wait to turn up at the real flight school to start my IFR and see how they react.
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

I would also pay close attention to PE. As Keith said, stay tuned! :0)
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

sellener777 wrote:I would also pay close attention to PE. As Keith said, stay tuned! :0)
Oh the suspense!!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's getting very close, the initial courses are going through active testing as we speak. An announcement will be forthcoming :)