Alphabet Challenge Leg 9 KIFP - KTRM

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 9 KIFP - KTRM

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

So for starters there is something awesome about calling up "Bullhead Tower" . Another fairly straightforward flight.

Lessons Learned:

Check for ODPs: I was rushing a bit, and for some reason I didn't expect "such as small airport" to have an ODP. I know that that actually is a dumb thought as the ODP is independent of the size and very DEPENDENT on the geography of the airport. And I am sure rated guys know to always pore over the takeoff minimums even if it is CAVU in the desert. And I am sure no IFR rated pilot EVER fails to do so...As for VFR me filing IFR, I guess I just had a lingering association of Departure Procedures as being kinda SIDish and biggish. Incorrect. Anyway, I got one assigned to me by clearance -which was actually nice I guess because it highlighted its existence and in theory if he hadn't mentioned it AND hadn't given me a vector, I would have been expected to fly it anyway (and I probably wouldn't have)...though I would have gone direct to the VOR so not a huge difference..
Bullhead...
Bullhead...
Bullhead ODP.JPG (107.79 KiB) Viewed 11569 times
Challenge ATC So imagine my surprise at being told to fly the RWY 16 ODP out of Bullhead when the wind was out of the North at 19 G26! I didn't challenge Delivery - thinking, huh, maybe the wind has changed. And besides I wasn't expecting an ODP at all (remember) but I sure was expecting a North departure.

Maybe the wind shifted? Checked after confirming clearance. Nope. I knew I wasn't going to take a south departure with 20kt tailwind. So I told ground about the winds and he revised the clearance...I'm not EXACTLY sure how that works real world.

If Delivery gives you an ODP from a runway you DON'T end up departing on what does one do? (Peter?) Does ground/tower pass that info up the food chain to let them know you are departing north?

Anyway, ATC was just trying to do me a favor and get me out of Bullhead, there's that name again, and enroute south expeditiously, but he goofed on the winds. He immediately cleared me for a 34 departure and I told him, I'd be flying the 34 ODP-- vmc subsection - (which is essentially the same as the 16 ODP, visual subsection) as in turn back and overfly the field at 2300 enroute the VOR (if memory serves).

That was pretty much it other than I enjoyed flying the VOR RWY 30 into Cochrane as it has an arc and I love'em!

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1501/pdf/00529VD30.PDF

Todd
N3298S

PS What is the Official Radio name of this airport anyway? I couldn't find an Airport Diagram other than the one in the A/FD and it isn't labeled. I'm sensitive on this since calling KTOA "Zamperini Tower". Looks like KTRM gets "cochrane, thermal, or some "desert resort" or somesuch...I think I went with Cochrane on the tape...
Last edited by Talan2000 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Krajcar

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 9 KIFP - KTRM

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Talan2000 wrote: PS What is the Official Radio name of this airport anyway? I couldn't find an Airport Diagram other than the one in the A/FD and it isn't labeled.
Not sure where you get your charts, but IFP definitely has an airport diagram, by which we can see it's Bullhead Tower/Ground.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Indeed. But look up Cochrane, er Thermal, er Desert Resort...It's untowered but still rates a name! :)

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd, the Airport Facility Directory, Communications section says, "Bullhead Tower." As Tim pointed out, the Airport Facility Diagram also says Bullhead Tower.
I couldn't find an Airport Diagram other than the one in the A/FD and it isn't labeled.
What reference were you using when you were looking for this information? The information is in the A/FD, and the airport diagram is available just as it is for all towered airports.

Regarding the runway change, once you determine that another runway is in use, I would seek an amended clearance if the controller isn't proactive in issuing a change to the ODP.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There is no formal radio facility name, unlike towered airports. So, you could say "Cochrane Regional Traffic..." on the CTAF, something like that. It's your discretion on that one. I frequently fly into new non-towered airports, calling it one thing on the radio, only to hear the locals call it something else (sometimes the city name, ignoring the airport name completely).
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Keith, yep, I agree. I'd bet the locals call it Thermal.
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

Talan2000 wrote: And I am sure rated guys know to always pore over the takeoff minimums even if it is CAVU in the desert. And I am sure no IFR rated pilot EVER fails to do so...
You'd be surprised how many IFR pilots based in the Midwest know practically nothing about ODPs. It's one reason the virtual SoCal airspace makes a great training environment.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

A Part 91 flight is not (as I understand the FAA regs.) obliged to fly the ODP - particularly in visual conditions. If you intend to fly it, you should indicate it in your flight plan. Sometimes you may be assigned a heading to fly. You can check with the controller on what to do next! Of course, if you are assigned the ODP, you would have to fly it. For most other operations (commercial, etc.), the ODP must always be flown. Normally, the controller will expect you to fly the ODP without further clearance, but a PART 91 flight doesn't have to...........
Looking at this sensibly, the FAA doesn't publish these procedures for fun. So, it's better to just fly it, unless you can really see that you can get to where you want to without hitting anything! In IMC, you'd be nuts not to fly it.

If I'm wrong on this, please tell me!
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

Correct. If your clearance doesn't include specific departure instructions, you are expected to follow the ODP, or (part 91) come up with your own plan to keep from hitting things. If you aren't aware that there's a procedure in place and turn straight to the first fix in your clearance, it could be fatal. You can mention the ODP in the remarks section if you like, but it's not necessary. ATC will know what you are doing.