FSX Push to Talk Setup

kshortt

FSX Push to Talk Setup

Post by kshortt »

I cannot find the Push to Talk button assignment on the FSX settings menus/dialogue boxes. Help please.
Dan Everette

Re: FSX Push to Talk Setup

Post by Dan Everette »

Selecting which key for your PTT is set in the SquawkBox settings, under the voice tab:

Below is a link to an image of the dialog/tab this is done:

http://squawkbox.ca/doc/features/options.php#voice

Post by foxBlade »

This entire post isn't exactly on topic for the original post, but the subject fits.

For the original question, the most effective way I have found to map a PTT button in squawkbox is to use a program called JOKER (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/danorris/www/joker/) to map a button on your joystick to a key press then configure the PTT button to be the same key (pressing the mapped joystick button works as well). It's a simple program and it works.

The 2nd issue with Squawkbox is that the PTT button press isn't always reconginzed when FSX is running and Squawkbox is running in the background. After playing around with both programs tonight, I discovered that you have to run FSX and Squawkbox as a regular user on Windows 7 (I assume Vista is the same). Since XP doesn't have UAC, this probably doesn't apply. Also, if you have turned off UAC, this probably doesn't apply.

I was able to determine if this is going to work by trying to assign a PTT key after FSX is running. When everything was working, I was able to assign a PTT key. When everything wasn't, the assignment window just waiting for me to press a key. I'm not certain this will be the case for everyone given all the variables in individual setups. I run Windows 7 64-bit with stock install paths for FSX and Squawkbox. Your results may vary, but hopefully this helps.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

"The 2nd issue with Squawkbox is that the PTT button press isn't always reconginzed when FSX is running and Squawkbox is running in the background. After playing around with both programs tonight, I discovered that you have to run FSX and Squawkbox as a regular user on Windows 7 (I assume Vista is the same). Since XP doesn't have UAC, this probably doesn't apply. Also, if you have turned off UAC, this probably doesn't apply."

The above is the issue that I'm experiencing but do not know who to set up these programs so that they are being run as a regular user on Windows 7. Can you please help me?
Archammer

Post by Archammer »

If you are having issues with recognition, try a program called JoyToKey, it is a flawless connection, very easy UI, and no issues.
http://joytokey.webs.com/download.htm
Last edited by Archammer on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

I downloaded joytokey and it works great for the button mapping and it works great! Thanks! However, I am still having problems with transmitting while squawkbox is running in the background. Should I have an "Add-ons" menu option in the FSX Menu bar to run squawkbox from. It has been suggested that this will solve my problem by starting squawkbox via the FSX Menu "Add-ons" option but I do not have this option available.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

Well it seems I have found the resolution to most (if not all) of my problems including ptt. As I stated in another thread, by disabling UAC from my win7 start menu I have been able to connect and fly as well as use ptt. Thank you for the joystick button mapping app! It is so much easier to use one of my joystick buttons as ptt.

Now if I could only figure out why FSX is freezing after about 10 to 15 minutes of flight I would be all set up.

I had a very enjoyable experience last night while my sim was working! My apologies for disappearing half-way through my flight. I hope to have a resolution to this soon. I really hope it does not involve having to buy another copy of FSX. I don't think this could be another UAC issue since I completely disabled it.

I will note that I had firefox running in the background (skyvector and airnav) and was switching between the two programs periodically. However, FSX has frozen on me before when it was the only program running and I was not connecting to an online ATC service.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thank you. I have updated the FSX installation instructions to include the note about UAC. Thanks again to the original poster for finding and documenting this solution.

Regarding FSX hanging after 10-15 mins even when flying offline, I would look at a cooling issue. Try installing a CPU and video card temperature monitoring application. My guess is that you'll see your CPU temp creeping up over time. This was an issue for me many years ago with X-Plane which runs at 100% cpu at all times, and can be brutal on poorly cooled machines as a result.

You could try running with the case off as a temporary workaround (if that results in lower temps under load), or you might want to make a modest investment in a CPU cooling solution.