Titan X is out!

nigelmcelwee

Titan X is out!

Post by nigelmcelwee »

Just ordered mine today for 10 am delivery tomorrow. Should be able to give a good review on it for xplane at least. I have a regular titan now and all benchmarks look to be anywhere from a 50-70 percent increase in performance which is pretty dramatic!! Looking forward to trying this beast out.
par2005

Re: Titan X is out!

Post by par2005 »

Prepar3d should love this video card as well, due to offloading much more onto modern video cards rather than cpu's ..

2.5 even offloaded some of the terrain generation to GPU which is pretty cool

Post framerates here please :)
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

I agree, the P3D people should get a really good FR boost with this card too. Man this boy can pump out some power and 12 GB frame buffer!! thats huge!!
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Actually, I'd personally be more interesting in OC'ing this thing rather than its VRAM - I don't realistically see 12 gigs being used in any game in the foreseeable future. You'd need quite a few 4k screens and Crysis 15 - in which case you'd run out of horsepower before you run out of VRAM (maybe XP 13/14). Honestly,the VRAM is probably for more productivity work and "futureproofing" than anything (although who knows, by the time the next Titan comes out, 12 gigs might be the norm......). If a beefy aftermarket cooler + an improved power delivery system comes out, I'd be very interested to see how this performs. It looks like power and temps are the limiting factors right now. Who knows, if its good enough, I could start saving up for a decade and try to snag one :) PCper, Anandtech, Guru3D, etc... have some fascinating articles on this thing that make my mouth water........
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

VRAM isn't just useful for lots of hi res screens. Remember, all the textures and models get loaded into the cards. As VRAM goes up, artists can use a greater number of hi res textures for the game or sim.

For XPlane, that translates to more CSL's that you can store in memory at higher resolutions. It also means better textures for the native objects in the sim, too.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

True - except for the fact that most of us can't afford a Titan X :( Unless I'm missing some crucial element of business strategy and economics(somewhat likely), I can't imagine devs using more than 3 or 4 gigs - the current "standard" for mid-high range cards.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I don't think P3D will use as much of that card as people think.

My GPU usage didn't change much when I went from a GTX 570 (1.2GB) to GTX 970 (4GB). I think the titan x would help if you run multi mon or 4k, plus tons of AA.

Now XP is a different beast. I can finally run extreme res with my 970.... sweet!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

well shipment was delayed a day but finally got my hands on it and will be plugging it in tonight. I already have the original titan and from a single GPU perspective there really hasnt been one to come out until now that would be worth the extra money for minimal gains. The gains on the titan x (especially in the 1920x1080 and 1280x1044 resolutions) seem to be massive in all benchmarks.

I have the new PC-12 which is probably the most intensive plane for xplane to date as far as textures and graphics so I will be looking forward to testing the limits of the Titan X to see how it performs in xplane.
fivechickens

Post by fivechickens »

Would love to see a back-to-back comparison of a Titan X to a GTX 970 in X-Plane with HD Mesh scenery. I can get away with quite a bit with my 970, but you know, there's always more...
PE V3 - I11 Rated - All in a Helicopter (BH407, BK117, S-92)
Alphabet Challenge in a Helicopter - 2 legs completed.