Benefit for new to IFR Sim pilots?

Real World VFR, IFR and Coast to Coast discussion area
Perk

Benefit for new to IFR Sim pilots?

Post by Perk »

Hey Keith,

I was wondering if the Real World IFR program would be any benefit to someone new to IFR? In particular, is it useful for learning IFR from the ground up for application in Flight Simulation, or is it more focused on improving skills for pilots who have already been through IFR training?
Keith Smith

Re: Benefit for new to IFR Sim pilots?

Post by Keith Smith »

Great question. I suppose it depends on what level you're trying to achieve with your simulation.

I can say that the video covers plenty of material which is absolutely relevant to flying in the sim. As an example, if the video devoted hours and hours to dealing with Flight Service and Flight Watch, then that would reduce the applicability to the simulation environment.

Keep in mind, 3 of the 7 scenarios are actually flown in an X-Plane based sim (a FlyThisSim TouchTrainer), so by definition, a lot of the material presented in the scenarios is relevant to sim flying.

As you look through the information page, take a look at the topics if the ground school and see if they're of interest to you.

Overall, I would say that if you're a hardcore sim pilot, it would be worthwhile and relevant.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I just realized I didn't address one of the parts of your question very well. You asked if it would be good for learning IFR from the ground-up. I would say the ground school portion would do a better job of that than the flight portion, but the flight briefings and flights themselves should help to cement a lot of the concepts that were introduced in the ground school portion.
Perk

Post by Perk »

Thanks Keith, I'll give it a shot.
Tol3458

Post by Tol3458 »

Are you taking suggestions for future videos?