New Pilot

manlyman

New Pilot

Post by manlyman »

Well, so far a very cool site. I'm just a sim pilot, have been for a long time. Have never really applied myself to learning ATC and such. I have joined an online naval air wing which is forcing me to learn all kinds of new things in aviation. I have signed up for PE but am some what intimidated by all of it. It would seam there are mostly RW pilots flying here. I have started to do the training programs you have here. I want to take my first flight this afternoon but am really very nervous about it. I have experienced the brain lock I have read about. Not sure how to over come this. Some advice would greatly be appreciated! I do look forward to flying here and become a better pilot. By the way I won't fly my F-18 here, I am doing all my training in a Cessna 172. I do understand I need to keep ahead of the aircraft. No way I could do that in the superbug. Am excited about being here!

Thanks,
David
lwilliams

Re: New Pilot

Post by lwilliams »

Welcome aboard, David. Its always good to see new folks come online with PE.

Yes, there are a lot of RW pilots here here, but there's many, many non-RW pilots also. There is a significant trend towards catering to very large aircraft as PE expands, but still many opportunities for pilots to learn and adapt to this new element of flying with ATC online. Remember, we were all "new" to PilotEdge once.

Embrace the challenge and don't get frustrated, you'll see down the road that your efforts were worth it. Good advice is to be somewhat proficient on the aircraft you select for the PilotEdge training program and go through it . It will make your life a lot easier. After being on PilotEdge for what seems like 10 years, I still make mistakes. Just learn from them carry on.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Lee Williams
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

To start I am not a RW pilot, also just started simming this winter so it can be done with a little home study.

I found the best approach was to study the ratings flights, especially the transcripts...it gives a script to follow and understand what needs to be said and when. Also in the ratings pages are youtubes of the actual flight...watch them and make notes.

Many acronyms will be peppered all over so take some time by searching for their meaning.

At the start I would write out my own script from clearance to departure so that I would not miss anything...

The controllers are really patient and understand that this is a training experience for most, just listen carefully to what they ask and say and follow the directions.

Most importantly do this flight first...

http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/first-flight

Good luck and be sure to come back and ask questions of things that didn't make sense

EDIT...I added a very abbreviated guide for ATC comms, I used it primarily to improve my CTAF calls. It does have a nice glossary at the end which may help.
Attachments
Pilot Radio Script.pdf
(230.23 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Sim pilot only myself. I would like to be a real world pilot some day. For that reason I only fly smaller GA aircraft. I try to treat every flight as a RW flight with regards to flight planning and weather.

If looking for recommendations. Start first by downloading the PE receiver and just LISTEN to the radio traffic. This will get you used to the phrase-olgy. Make note of the good calls. Make note of the bad calls. You will be surprised how easy it is to tell the difference.

http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/pilotedge-receiver

Recommendation. Always have a "knee board" handy.

Next from your sim connect to PE at an airport like John Wayne (KSNA). Be sure to position the airplane in a non movement area before connecting. Just listen on ground/clearance delivery for awhile. Perform a radio test with clearance delivery. Then you will know that your sim is set up correctly.

KSNA Airport diagram.
http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1506/pdf/00377AD.PDF

Perhaps call clearance delivery and ask for VFR departure to the West. Then call ground and ask for Taxi. Follow the taxi instructions but before reaching the hold point, call ground and ask for return to the terminal for engine problems. This will allow you to experience what it's like receiving instructions while operating the aircraft in a total non-pressure situation (reduces chance of "brain lock" which is real).

Then plan your first flight.

Always have the airport charts open and know where your are on the airport before making any call to ATC. Skyvector is a great source.

Book mark the following sites. They will help your online flight planning a ton.

http://www.skyvector.com <charts>

http://www.myflightroute.com <CRAFT tool, TEC route search, and tons more>

peaware.pilotedge.net <if planning a flight between city pairs best place to search when there isn't a TEC route>

Don't be afraid to ask questions. But understand there will be times when the controllers aren't able to give long answers if the network is busy.

Welcome aboard.
Last edited by wmburns on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Great job, guys. I have nothing to add but welcome to PE!
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Welcome to PilotEdge! You're in the right place! Another great resource for learning or familiarizing yourself with phraseology is http://www.liveatc.net . Whenever I'm driving I fire up my LiveATC app in my phone and listen to it over my car radio. I listen to my local airport (KBZN) which includes ground, tower and departure. It's been a great help to me!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
manlyman

Post by manlyman »

Wow! Thanks guys for all the help and inspiration. I do use some of the sites that have been mentioned, skyvector & liveatc. Looking forward to flying here. I do have some concern about how fast the controllers talk. I'm sure I will be able to get it, but am concerned I won't understand.
Rick Stratman

Post by Rick Stratman »

manlyman wrote:Wow! Thanks guys for all the help and inspiration. I do use some of the sites that have been mentioned, skyvector & liveatc. Looking forward to flying here. I do have some concern about how fast the controllers talk. I'm sure I will be able to get it, but am concerned I won't understand.
I was not going to chime in as the previous posts really sums things up. However after seeing what you wrote I will add with practice you will find the speed of the talking will slow down. The other item I have found is once you understand what is coming in the way of instructions you will then pick up what you need, which slows things down :)

The other item I can suggest is do VFR flights from class D type airports and work you way up C and B airports.

Good Luck and Welcome to PE.
trigger_fsx

Post by trigger_fsx »

Hi David,

I am also just a sim pilot enjoying what PE has to offer. I have been using PE for about 7 months now and I am learning something new every time I fly on the network. You can PM me if you would like someone to fly with you and give you some general tips. Just note my timezone is UTC+2. Anyways, the best way to learn is to study the material provided above, get in a plane and just hit the PTT button.

Cheers!
Jacques
Jacques Le Roux
N841LR
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

Hi, just a sim pilot too, and I also was nervous starting out, just about to go through it all again thanks to a real life brain freeze ( well, brain surgery ). I found the best approach was to start with the flight between two non towered airports, then once you've done a couple of those, and gotten used to using the mic, do a flight from a non towered to a class d or class c , or from a class c or d to a non towered, this way you are slowly ramping up the Atc workload . It only took me a few weeks to do all my vfr ratings and start on the ifr , which is when I had to quit as my head was hurting . The other thing that helps is to write down what you are going to say before you fly , helps me loads !!! Good luck, see you in the air hopefully :)