Permission for HDG change

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Rkon

Permission for HDG change

Post by Rkon »

We are flying from SNA to CRQ via V23 OCN. We have DPT clearance H175 V23 OCN DCT. After departure we fly HDG175 and waiting for intercepting R-120 OCN for joining V23. When we have OBS needle centered we still haven't permission from ATC for heading changing. What should we do in such case?
stealthbob

Re: Permission for HDG change

Post by stealthbob »

If the comms were busy I would leave it alone....otherwise, I am not sure myself mind you, but I would mic in:

"SocCal Departure N82SB crossing v23"

The one thing I do know, you don't just head on over onto v23...ask me how I know that :grin:
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Fly your assigned heading. Many pilots on the network turn on their own and think they are to join the airway, which is not a good thing. There could be a couple of reasons you haven't been given the instruction to join the airway. Are you at the MEA? Is there a sequencing issue or other traffic to separate?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's the SLI R-120, not the OCN R-120. The clearance is "heading 175, vectors V23..." rather than "heading 175, join V23..."

So, the answer is that you stay on heading 175 until you receive a vector otherwise. There is a nearby MVA of 2100ft, so if you're climbing relatively slowly then it's very likely that you're going to need to fly through V23 during your climb, after which the controller will give you a heading to intercept the airway once you're high enough.

It's only 2.1nm from the airport to V23.

Given how close the airport is to V23, I'd have no reason to question the controller if you fly through V23 without having received a vector.
Rkon

Post by Rkon »

Keith Smith wrote:It's the SLI R-120, not the OCN R-120. .
It was one more mistake...
Keith Smith wrote:The clearance is "heading 175, vectors V23..." rather than "heading 175, join V23..."
I see the difference.
Keith Smith wrote:So, the answer is that you stay on heading 175 until you receive a vector otherwise. There is a nearby MVA of 2100ft, so if you're climbing relatively slowly then it's very likely that you're going to need to fly through V23 during your climb, after which the controller will give you a heading to intercept the airway once you're high enough.
To be honest, I can't say that I have heard "Radar contact" response from SoCal_DP before heading changing. And there is a point, I see.

Thanks for all for detailed explanation.
Rkon

Post by Rkon »

stealthbob wrote:...ask me how I know that :grin:
It seems you have funny story :)
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Rkon wrote:
stealthbob wrote:...ask me how I know that :grin:
It seems you have funny story :)
Not really funny but more of a series of experiences that illustrated my constant need to problem solve on my own while in flight...

I made the mistake of changing course more than once without waiting for ATC, that and frequencies. So when I say ask me how I know...I know cause I have been corrected after breaking the rules more than once.

I have learned my lessons,I'm a good boy now....for the most part 8-)