Above and Beyond on the I1

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
jstew

Above and Beyond on the I1

Post by jstew »

I passed the I1 last night, but didn't quite go as planned. I called in for clearance and was pretty nervous. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I had read transcript or listened to other get clearance, that first time reading it back I'm sure was a mess; but got the "read back correct" go ahead.

As I'm flying, I get cleared direct Seal Beach and told to say intentions when able. I wasn't expecting that and just replied that I was looking for "the ILS approach". So being the quite helpful controller he was, he immediately cleared me for the ILS 20R Approach. I'm asking myself where my heading was? Luckily I had read ahead to the I6 and that's actually how I had practiced offline, so I prepped to fly the 049 outbound. After thinking about it I realized I probably worded my intentions wrong. A few minutes later another pilot attempting the I1 made a similar mistake and after some confusion the controller explained that we could have asked for vectors to the ILS. By then I was only 8 miles or so from SAGER and decided to practice the whole thing.

Once on the ground, controller congratulated me on the pass and said I pulled off the full approach perfectly! I actually really appreciated him not playing it by some I1 script and giving me a great learning moment. This kind of thing is what makes PE unique and really fun for me.

On to the I2...
Keith Smith

Re: Above and Beyond on the I1

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm glad it worked out, but when asked for your intentions, I would reply "vectors for the ILS RWY 20R approach." Normally, you'll receive vectors by default in a radar environment, but if a controller issues you the full approach (as was done here) and you prefer vectors, then you should specifically request vectors to final.

The same will be true in the I2.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

All that said, it would be very rare to get the full approach by default in a radar environment. We'll look into that.
jstew

Post by jstew »

Keith, thanks for the info. As I said the controller did explain we could ask for vectors to the ILS and normally would always get them. The other pilot doing the I1 took the vectors behind me and landed a few minutes ahead of me. I'm not sure I've said this to you directly; but thanks for the great service!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome, although it's really the controllers who provide the service!
Shinjo B

Post by Shinjo B »

Heh, I was on and getting ready to do my I-1 right as you were landing and heard the whole "ask for vectors" thing. I wouldn't have done that for sure and would have been just as confused. Really helped me out ... thanks!

(Well, until I somehow managed to change my radio frequency mid-vectors without realizing it and nearly crashed into the mountains when nobody could get through to me). :oops:
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Shinjo B wrote:(Well, until I somehow managed to change my radio frequency mid-vectors without realizing it and nearly crashed into the mountains when nobody could get through to me). :oops:
MORAs and MSAs my friend ;)
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed