Arriving at KEMT from N or W of Burbank airspace (VFR)

PurdueKev

Arriving at KEMT from N or W of Burbank airspace (VFR)

Post by PurdueKev »

A question for how best to navigate the airspace around Burbank/Van Nuys/Whiteman from west or north to the east:

If one is flying in to El Monte from north or west of Burbank with VFR advisories, what is the best way to plan the descent in to the airfield? Assume this is not with a high-performance aircraft, but something like a 172 or Cherokee. This is such busy airspace, I want to make sure I am giving due consideration but also avoiding a flight plan that doesn't make logistical sense (fuel burn, descent capabilities, etc).

It seems the basic options to consider are:

1) Stay above the Burbank Charlie airspace at 5500 until clear (on the V186 for example), and then descend... this seems problematic as there is not much distance or space to get down to the pattern at El Monte;

2) Descend to a reasonable altitude such as 3500 before reaching Burbank airspace, and letting Burbank transition you through. This seems like it might put one into conflict with aircraft arriving from the east?

3) Descend even lower and obtain transition from Van Nuys or Whiteman and then Burbank until under the Charlie shelf on the east side. Listening on LiveAtC.net it seems like there is a lot of traffic that does this and the tower controllers are able to handle it pretty routinely?

Steering north over the mountains to avoid the airspace also seems like it is not an option, as you need to be well above 7500 for terrain. It seems like asking for a descent from Burbank tower through the Charlie would be frowned upon, or am I overthinking it?

What is the proper way to approach a route like this?

Thanks!
Kevin Jaeger
Rural MD (Washington, DC area near KFDK)
PE V-3
My Alphabet Challenge results
zengei

Re: Arriving at KEMT from N or W of Burbank airspace (VFR)

Post by zengei »

My recommendation is that since you're already talking to ATC (advisories) and they know you're going to EMT, let them know what altitude works best for you to transition the Charlie. If it's a problem, they'll let you know and likely make an alternative suggestion. It's fine to have a little back-and-forth negotiation with ATC; you're not a mind reader, don't expect to know the perfect flight path for any given scenario especially in airspace as complex as the Los Angeles area.