Alphabet Challenge Leg 8 KHII - KIFP

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 8 KHII - KIFP

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Ok a nice short little jaunt. Filed VFR. Hardly worth commenting on but I did manage a mistake. http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=86736

Lessons Learned:
Coverage Area Confirmation: I almost assumed myself into a mistake, but Keith's words haunted me about checking the coverage (LA ARTCC) in the A/FD. I was thinking Bullhead wasn't covered for some reason (sleep deprivation perhaps) but discovered - yep it was.

Know your Position: So the only mistake I made was in calling for Landing about 20 miles out and reporting I was about 10 miles out. I was fiddling with the Approach Plate as I wanted to use it as a reference (so hard to see these airports visually and I try not to just look at the GPS). Not life threatening but I was embarrased to be cleared to land and still droning on for 10 miles. Felt guilty enough to confess my mistake to Tower. No problem.

Crosswind Technique: Winds were gusting to 24 and about a 30degree quartering crosswind so I got to practice a little crosswind technique. Wing down, top rudder. Good stuff.
Crosswind - check out the windsock. Centerline Baby
Crosswind - check out the windsock. Centerline Baby
KIFP Crosswind.JPG (193.8 KiB) Viewed 9334 times
See if you can rent a car and go gambling at Laughlin, NV.

Todd
Keith Smith

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 8 KHII - KIFP

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd, if you view the coverage area map one more time: http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/operatin ... rvice-area and observe the general shape of ZLA (the shaded area, forget the airports for a minute), you can see that it covers from the coast, all the way east beyond Vegas and also out to the Grand Canyon. KIFP is just east of dead center of ZLA. I guess I'm having trouble picturing why you would assume it was out of the coverage area if you're aware that LAS and GCN are covered. Are you assuming that there are pockets of airspace that aren't covered, like large donut holes? If so, there's no need, because other than the military fields, there aren't any 'gaps' of that sort.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Keith, I guess I just keep underestimating Pilot Edge awesomeness?

That and I initially thought KIFP was uncontrolled. Saw the sectional, saw the Delta, then wasn't sure it was covered so I checked and saw LA ARTCC. Done deal.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

I decided to do this short hop in the "old" Archer - no GPS. No autopilot. So, I filed IFR and hand flew the ODP to the Needles VOR followed by the VOR/DME approach to runway 34 at KIFP. The actual weather was clear, but I kept myself head down on the instruments till it was time to spot the runway. Good fun.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Got some time today to hop on the network and completed this short flight. Flew it VFR which was a nice way to ease back into the hot seat.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Like Andrew above, made this a short VFR flight to reposition for the haul into Thermal Airport on the next leg. Nothing really to see here.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge