VFR | KTRM KSEE | Lessons learned

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Kerbo

VFR | KTRM KSEE | Lessons learned

Post by Kerbo »

What I thought would be a simple 30 minute flight turned into a lesson on being prepared. Even the short "easy" flights need to be briefed fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sCmUDueQEw
Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
armchair sim pilot
usual call sign: N1676L
fabriciofigueroa

Re: VFR | KTRM KSEE | Lessons learned

Post by fabriciofigueroa »

I noticed you stopped on the runway. Big no no.
I like the way your plane has the g550 built-in ?
I am considering to swith to XPlane. But I already put too much money in my FSX.
Nice clean cokpit view.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

fabriciofigueroa wrote:I noticed you stopped on the runway. Big no no.
I am considering to swith to XPlane. But I already put too much money in my FSX.
Nice clean cokpit view.
I don't think he stopped on the runway, but at the hold short line of the taxiway off the runway. Better to stop and wait then cross and get yelled at, even on PE.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

stevekirks wrote:
Nice clean cokpit view.
I don't think he stopped on the runway, but at the hold short line of the taxiway off the runway. Better to stop and wait then cross and get yelled at, even on PE.
That was definitely a runway stop at 6:00. That yellow line that he approaches is nothing more than the taxiway centerline for the taxiway that crosses that runway. Stopping on the runway is ATC's worse nightmare. ALWAYS clear the runway when you are able to do so.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

kevin meyers wrote:
stevekirks wrote:
Nice clean cokpit view.
That was definitely a runway stop at 6:00. That yellow line that he approaches is nothing more than the taxiway centerline for the taxiway that crosses that runway. Stopping on the runway is ATC's worse nightmare. ALWAYS clear the runway when you are able to do so.
Unless Land And Hold Short Operations are in effect... ;) (Of course, I don't think RW Gillespie Field does LAHSO and I'm not even sure if PE even simulates LAHSO :lol: )
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

zerofay32 wrote: Unless Land And Hold Short Operations are in effect... ;) (Of course, I don't think RW Gillespie Field does LAHSO and I'm not even sure if PE even simulates LAHSO :lol: )
<raises hand>I can attest that PE does in fact do LAHSO when the situation calls for it. This was quite some time ago but I recall being on an IFR flight plan to KLGB (I think) and there was another pilot doing pattern at the same time (different runway). The controller caught me completely by surprise by asking me if I could accept a LAHSO landing clearance. I requested a stand by while researching exactly what LAHSO is. Once referring to the chart and confirming the available runway was enough for the airplane.

I suspect that LAHSO isn't seen all that much due to:
  • not all airports support/need LAHSO
  • low traffic volume makes concurrent operations less likely
As I thought. I wonder if that is something that should be reviewed during approaching briefing. IE, does this airport support LAHSO? If so, could I accept a LAHSO landing clearance?
Last edited by wmburns on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

WMBURNS-
I would say it DOES need to be reviewed in the arrival briefing.

Look at the arrival airport chart. It's indicated as LAHSO on there. For example, intersection of 30 and 25R at KLGB.
--- http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1512/00236AD.PDF

The ATIS may also indicate it. As in this case, LGB does- http://myflightroute.com/atisplay.php?
Kyle Sanders
kullery

Post by kullery »

The following notes are about a year old but I don't believe there have been any changes:
LAHSO exists at the following airports in the listed configurations (and should be included in the ATIS):
  • BUR - When runway 15 is in use.
  • LGB - In any configuration.
  • VGT - When Runways 25 or 30L/R are in use.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

LAHSO exists at the following airports in the listed configurations (and should be included in the ATIS):

BUR - When runway 15 is in use.
LGB - In any configuration.
VGT - When Runways 25 or 30L/R are in use.
Yup that's still correct.
<raises hand>I can attest that PE does in fact do LAHSO when the situation calls for it. This was quite some time ago but I recall being on an IFR flight plan to KLGB (I think) and there was another pilot doing pattern at the same time (different runway). The controller caught me completely by surprise by asking me if I could accept a LAHSO landing clearance. I requested a stand by while researching exactly what LAHSO is. Once referring to the chart and confirming the available runway was enough for the airplane.

I suspect that LAHSO isn't seen all that much due to:
not all airports support/need LAHSO
low traffic volume makes concurrent operations less likely
Also 100% correct, it's rare that we need it on the network, but if the situation calls for it we will do it.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Good to know. Thanks!
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS